MOJEFFER-L Archives

Archiver > MOJEFFER > 2006-01 > 1137703287

From: Linda Reichert <>
Subject: Jefferson County Record - February 15, 1917 - Volunteer Transcription Part 2
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:41:27 -0600

Volunteer transcription - Linda in MO - Part 2

Jefferson County Record, Hillsboro, Mo
February 15, 1917
Vol. XIII, No. 8

[ page 1, column 2 ]

~ De Soto Items ~

Walter BLACK and family of Silies [Silica?], were here Sunday the
guests of Mr. and Mrs. A. E. STUCKING.

Mrs. FINLEY who has been in Cape Girardeau for some time arrived home
last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Press KENNETH and daughter Rebekah returned to St. Louis,
the first of th week after a several days stay in our town.

Skating has been quite good as the cold weather continues.

Sol HOHENTHAL has a new Super Six Hudson which is a very fine car.

The D. A. R. will celebrate Washington’s birthday by giving a colonial
tea at the Elk’s club room.

Mr. and Mrs. MELVILLE were the guests of their children in St. Louis
for several months, returning home Monday morning.

It is reported that we may have a dry current in the near future and
that is what the people of De Soto have been wanting for a long time.

A fire in our city Sunday morning destroyed Mr. O. F. MEEK’s Dry Goods
Store and Mrs. CRAWFORD’s flat above the tailor and shoe shop and
damaged the fixtures of the People’s bank as well as the offices above
the bank. Mrs. CRAWFORD carries no insurance but the others mentioned
were partly insured. It is reported that the MEEK store will be
rebuilt, but not the entire building as it was before for the present.
Everyone sympathizes with all concerned in their losses. The fire
department deserves great credit for their good work.

The bible class will meet with Mrs. Dan ROUGGLY on Fifth street
Wednesday afternoon.

The Presbyterian ladies will give their annual chicken pie dinner at
the church February 22.

Mr. and Mrs. HULL assisted by Mrs. HULL’s mother, Mrs. GRANT,
entertained the members of the Rebekah lodge last Thursday night in
honor of Mr. HULL’s birthday. Old Santa left a new player piano at this
home and the music added much to the enjoyment of the occasion.

Howard ROBERTSON has charged of the Y. M. C. A. affairs since Mr.
THOMPSON has left De Soto.

Mr. and Mrs. A. D. WILLIAMS have rented the MITCHIM property next to
Mrs. Jennie JONES and will move their household goods from St. Louis
soon. Mr. and Mrs. WILLIAMS who left De Soto in the early fall to make
their home have had poor health and decided to rturn[sic] here to make
their home among their old friends.

Dr. WHITE is talking of buying an Allen car this spring. Joe RODGERS is
the agent.

Little Dorothy SAPPER has been quite ill the past week.

Chas. LEWIS of Fletcher sold 80 fine hogs recently for $2,012.65. Who
can beat the record for hugs ten months old?

Attorney Adrian STEELE who moved his office over the People’s Bank just
two days before the fire had some of his law books damaged by smoke and
water.

The St. Mary’s circle of the Episcopal church gave an entertainment
February 13th. A good musical program was rendered and refreshments
were sold.

The fifty-third birthday of the Knights of Pythias will be observed at
the K. of P. hall Monday evening, February 19th.

The “Go to Church Sunday” in De Soto will be February 25th.

W. C. STONE and L. L. MASON went to Texas last week on a business trip.

Miss Flora WEBB spent last week with her brother Ed and family at
Fredericktown.

Mr. and Mrs. A. E. STOCKING spent Thursday and Friday of last week in
St. Louis.

~ Card of Thanks ~
We desire to extend our heartfelt thanks to our friends and neighbors
for their faithful and loyal help during the illness and death of
father and husband.
Agnes CLOVER and Children

~ For Sale ~
One dark bay horse, six years old this spring, sixteen hands high,
works double or single, and is gentle. Can be seen at my stable at
Horice. Mo. Address John H. YESBURG, Muse Mercantile Co., 6th and Boyd
Streets, De Soto, Mo.

[rest of this column added to the end of column 1]

This thread: