MOJEFFER-L Archives

Archiver > MOJEFFER > 2003-07 > 1057865610

Subject: [MOJEFFER] Justice of the Peace
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:33:30 EDT

My husband's great grandfather, Solomon B. Wilson, was for many years, the
Justice of the Peace for Jefferson County. As I read through the old marriages
for Jefferson County on Brian Oster's site, I thought it was interesting to
see the different JPs that were listed, and I started wondering about the office
of the Justice of the Peace. I am interested in finding out if they were
appointed or elected, and if appointed, by whom. I wonder what the length of the
term of office might have been as our Wilson served in the 1840s, then some
break in service then he served again in the 1850s, etc. Does anyone know how
I can find general information about the office? I talked to serveral
departments at the court house and they tell me they have no information and to call
the college. I did call the history department at the college and they also
had no information. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks Linda

This thread: