MODALLAS-L Archives

Archiver > MODALLAS > 2009-04 > 1240953181

From: "Rick Gregg" <>
Subject: Re: [MODALLAS] Loftin - Lofton
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:13:01 -1000

Hello Again Robert -

I don't have a lot to add but a little may help you along your way.

Brief background: My grandmother (my Dad's mother) Floy McGee, and her siblings, eight in all surviving, were orphaned in the pandemic flu outbreak of 1918-1919. These McGee children were widely disbursed. My great grandfather's (my mother's grandfather's) sister, Sarah Elsie Powell, and her husband David Wesley Loftin (second of three husbands for "Aunt Elsie"; second of two marriages for "Uncle Wes") were childless and took in one of the McGee orphans, my grandmother. Aunt Elsie and Uncle Wes, as they were called by my family, were married January 11, 1911, in Dallas County, Missouri, and remained together until his death October 19, 1936. Both Aunt Elsie and Uncle Wes are buried in Charity Community Cemetery. At the time of marriage, January 1911, Uncle Wes listed his residence as Van, Polk County, Missouri. There is a picture of "Wes and Elsie Loftin with Floy McGee Gregg in the barn lot" on page 41 of a book entitled "Reflexions II". The photo was submitted to this publication by Irene Bennett. My grandmother was ten years old when her parents died and appears about that age in the photo. Therefore, I guess the photo was taken about 1919-1920 or so.

My database shows: David Wesley Loftin's first marriage was to Emma Johnson in November 1879 in Linn County, Kansas. The only child I had listed for this couple was Wesley Walker Loftin born May 1882 in Linn County, Kansas. I see Emma (18) and Wes (21) Loftin were in the 1880 Dallas County, Missouri, federal census.

The only information I have on Martha Jane Loftin is her marriage February 11, 1877, in Dallas County, Missouri, to Isam Andrew Highfill. I currently list only one child for this couple, Elmer Highfill, age 1 in the 1880 Dallas County, Missouri, federal census.

I hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Rick Gregg