MI-POLISH-L Archives

Archiver > MI-POLISH > 2006-02 > 1139591029

From: "C_Jensen" <>
Subject: Re: DNA testing
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:03:49 -0500

Hi Marilyn,

When it comes to DNA research for genealogy I always pass along the work
that fellow genealogist Megan Smolneak is doing.
She had a recent book out,too. (I haven't read it yet).
Megan has a website devoted to this topic and also recommends companies that
offer a range of services.

Intro from her site:
Welcome to Genetealogy.com
Yes, we know. Officially, "genetealogy" is not a word. You won't find it in
any dictionaries. But it's a handy means to capture the concept of genetic
genealogy - the use of DNA testing to peek into your past and learn about
your roots.
http://www.genetealogy.com/

Please let us know if you do more testing.

Ceil

Michigan Polonia
http://mipolonia.net
Ceil Wendt Jensen, CG(sm)
CG, Certified Genealogist , Author of Detroit's Polonia

Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 11:53 AM
Subject: DNA testing

Hello, all.

Don't know how many of you saw the search of 9 black people for their
ancestry on PBS the other day. It was quite interesting. Oprah, Whoopi
Goldberg,
and others were searchers for their past.

Ceil, do you have addresses and prices for the various types of DNA testing
now possible? I have sent for my mitochondrial DNA (mother) through
National
Geographic's project, but I would also like info on who does the
patrilineal
DNA, (father's line.)

Plus, I saw on the show that a professor at Penn State, named Mark
Schreiber, does "admixture DNA." This was important for the black people,
as some of
them turned out to be 45 and 50% white, and Mae Jemison, the black woman
astronaut, turned out to be a certain percentage of Asian, with no white at
all.
Oprah also had no white.

Then professor Schreiber also did a new DNA test which told the 9 people
the
approximate country in Africa that their ancestors came from.

Anyway, Ceil, would you be interested in making up a list of the various
types of DNA providers, perhaps to be handed out at your DNA lectures, and
our MI-POLONIA group?

I don't expect to have any black percentage, but who know? With all the
wars in Poland, there might be a small amount of Asian in my past.

Thanks for all your great help.

Marilyn Plotkowski Zaworski Novak
Albuquerque, NM (formerly of Chicagoland)