MCGINN-L Archives

Archiver > MCGINN > 2010-01 > 1264913940

From: (by way of Mo! Langdon)
Subject: [MCGINN] John McGINN - b Ireland,1812 m Sally BARNHART of Barnhart's Island
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:59:00 -0800

***To reply to this message, click/doubleclick the link, and then reply.***

Author: jrmcginn1
Surnames: McGinn, Barnhart, Wood
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.mcginn/444/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hi All

I have posted about this family before but I now have done some detective work.
Their son William R McGinn was born 1840 probably on Barnhart Is USA.
1871 he married Catherine Wood but it was after the Canada Census of
1871 enumeration because in that census he was living as a single
carpenter in Cornwall Ont.
Catherine and Wm R McGinn had dau Charlotte born 1874 and another
daughter Christie May in Jan 1881 both births registered.
When I tried to find the couple in the 1881 census I drew blanks so
off to the USA went I ..
Sure enough I found them in Potsdam Village, St Lawrence COunty NYS,
USA in 1890. Their immigration was 1882.
I expect that John and Sarah McGinn did a similar move but maybe
earlier as they were not in the 1871 census of Canada.

in the USA 1900 census the family of William and Catherine Wood
McGinn had moved again, this time being enumerated in Hampden Mass.

Finally I have a McGinn who grew up in Canada who moved to the USA.
Son Arthur W McGinn moved with them to Hampden.

I suspect there may be other Irish McGinns in St Lawrence County too
but this is the first time I have seen a Canadian McGinn family
penetrate deep into New England!
I am not sure this is my family but given names in it are similar to my crowd.
Rob McGinn, THunder Bay Ontario

***Important Note:***
The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you
would like to reply, please click on the Message Board URL link above
and respond on the board.

This thread: