MARTIN-L Archives

Archiver > MARTIN > 2005-12 > 1134917497

From: "D Michael Johnson" <>
Subject: My Martin Ancestry, Kentucky & Virginia - two lines (part one B)
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:51:37 -0500

Generation No. 4

8. William Martin, born 1817 in Pickett (formerly Overton) County, Tennessee; died November 10, 1918 in Wayne County, Kentucky. He was the son of 16. John Shelby Martin, Sr. and 17. Nancy Elizabeth Hancock. He married 9. Mary "Polly" Hubbard Abt. 1835 in Wayne County, Kentucky.

9. Mary "Polly" Hubbard, born Bet. 1819 - 1822 in Wayne County, Kentucky; died March 20, 1866 in Wayne County, Kentucky. She was the daughter of 18. Elijah Rice Hubbard and 19. Lucinda Burnett.

Notes for William Martin:

Census information follows:

1840 Wayne County, Kentucky
William Martin
one male under age 5, one male age 20-30, one female age 15-20

1850 District 3, Wayne County, Kentucky
511/520
William Martin, 33, m, laborer, 200, b Tenn
Mary, 31, f, b Ky
Shelley, 10, m, b Ky
Eli, 8, m, b Ky
William, 6, m, b Ky
Lucinda, 5, f, b Ky
Margaret, 4, f, b Ky
Malinda, 2, f, b Ky
Martha, 1, f, b Ky
Alfred Taylor, 16, m, b Ky

1860 Wayne County, Kentucky
703/687
William Martin, 38, farmer, 300, 300, b Unkown
Mary, 38, f, b Ky
Eli, 19, m, day laborer, b Ky
Perry, 17, m, day laborer, b Ky
Lucinda, 16, f, b Ky
Margaret, 14, f, b Ky
Malinda, 13, f, b Ky
Jane, 12, f, b Ky
Calvin, 11, m, b Ky
Benjamin, 6, m, b Ky
John, 3, m, b Ky

More About William Martin:
Burial: Martin Cemetary, Wayne County, Kentucky
Census: 1850, Living in District 3, Wayne County, Kentucky

Children of William Martin and Mary Hubbard are:

i. James Shelby Martin, born February 02, 1839 in Ritner, Wayne County, Kentucky; died November 10, 1918 in Ritner, Wayne County, Kentucky; married (1) Celia Walker February 18, 1857; born November 28, 1837; died May 01, 1890; married (2) Rebecca Jones February 25, 1891; born March 10, 1862.

Notes for James Shelby Martin:

Census information follows:

1860 Wayne County, Kentucky
James S Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 21 1838 Kentucky Male
Celia D Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 22 1837 Kentucky Female
William P Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 2 1857 Kentucky Male
Benjamin F Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 1 1858 Kentucky Male

1880 E.D. 20, Casey County, Kentucky
James S MARTIN Self M Male W 41 KENTUCKY Farmer KY KY
Ceila D MARTIN Wife M Female W 42 KENTUCKY Housekeeper KY KY
Willian P MARTIN Son S Male W 22 KENTUCKY Works On Farm KY KY
Benjamin F MARTIN Son S Male W 21 KENTUCKY Farmer Boy KY KY
George W MARTIN Son S Male W 19 KENTUCKY Works On Farm KY KY
Eli W MARTIN Son S Male W 18 KENTUCKY Works On Farm KY KY
Jeramiah MARTIN Son S Male W 16 KENTUCKY Works On Farm KY KY
Solemon MARTIN Son S Male W 15 KENTUCKY Works On Farm KY KY
Henry MARTIN Son S Male W 11 KENTUCKY Works On Farm KY KY
Silas MARTIN Son S Male W 9 KENTUCKY At Home KY KY
John MARTIN Son S Male W 7 KENTUCKY At Home KY KY
Richard MARTIN Son S Male W 5 KENTUCKY At Home KY KY
Jane MARTIN Dau S Female W 3 KENTUCKY At Home KY KY
Mary MARTIN Dau S Female W 2 KENTUCKY At Home KY KY

More About James Shelby Martin:
Burial: Martin Cemetary, Ritner, Wayne County, kentucky

More About James Martin and Celia Walker:
Marriage: February 18, 1857

ii. Eli Martin, born 1840 in Kentucky; died November 18, 1862 in Nashville, Tennessee.

Notes for Eli Martin:
Eli mustered in to Company H, 1st Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry on 28 October 1861 with his brother William Perry Martin at Camp Dick Robinson, Kentucky. He died 18 November 1862 at Nashville, Tennessee.

4 iii. William Perry Martin, born May 1842 in Wayne County, Kentucky; married (1) Hettie Jane Keith August 13, 1863 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; married (2) Jane Baker October 26, 1878 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

iv. Lucinda Martin, born September 04, 1843 in Kentucky; married John Abbott.

Notes for John Abbott:

Census information follows:

1870 District 5, Wayne County, Kentucky Post Office Monticello
60/60
John Abbott, 25, m, w, farmer, 300, 250, b Ky
Lucinda, 27, f, w, keeping house, b Ky
Carson, 6, m, w, at home, b Ky
George G., 3, m, w, at home, b Ky
James C., 1, m, w, at home, b Ky
Benjamin, 15, m, w, farm laborer, b Ky
Lindie E., 22, f, w, at home, b Ky

v. Margaret Martin, born 1846 in Kentucky.

vi. Malinda E. Martin, born Bet. 1847 - 1848 in Kentucky.

More About Malinda E. Martin:
Census: 1870, Living in District 5, Wayne County, Kentucky with sister Lucinda

vii. Martha Jane Martin, born Bet. 1848 - 1849 in Kentucky; married James W. Correll October 1869 in Wayne County, Indiana; born Abt. 1849 in Kentucky.

Notes for Martha Jane Martin:
In the 1850 Census, her name is listed as Martha, but in the 1860 Census, she is listed as Jane.

Notes for James W. Correll:

Census information follows:

1870 District 5, Wayne County, Kentucky Post Office Monticello
110/110
James W. Correll, 21, m, w, farmer, 0, 150, b Ky
Jane, 18, f, w, keeping house, b Ky
John, 14, m, w, at home, b Ky

More About James Correll and Martha Martin:
Marriage: October 1869, Wayne County, Indiana

viii. Calvin Martin, born Bet. 1849 - 1850 in Kentucky.

ix. Benjamin Martin, born January 24, 1853 in Kentucky.

More About Benjamin Martin:
Census: 1870, Living in District 5, Wayne County, Kentucky with sister Lucinda

x. John Bird Martin, born 1857 in Kentucky.

More About John Bird Martin:
Census: 1870, Living in District 5, Wayne County, Kentucky with sister Jane

12. John Barnett, born Abt. 1794 in Virginia; died September 1849 in Pulaski County, Kentucky. He was the son of 24. William Graves Barnett and 25. Judith Thomason. He married 13. Mary "Polly" Martin January 24, 1825 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

13. Mary "Polly" Martin, born October 18, 1796 in Knox County, Tennessee; died Aft. 1880 in Edinburgh, Johnson County, Indiana. She was the daughter of 26. Moses Martin III and 27. Anna Heath.

Notes for John Barnett:

Census information follows:

1830 Pulaski County, Kentucky
John Barnet - 1000010000000 2000100000000
one male under age 5, one male age 30-40, two females under age 5, one female age 20-30

1840 Pulaski County, Kentucky
John Barnett - 1010001000000 2221010000000
one male under age 5, one male age 10-15, one male age 40-50, two females under age 5, two females age 5-10, two females age 10-15, one female age 15-20, one female age 30-40

More About John Barnett:
Cause of Death: Consumption
Census: 1840, Listed in Pulaski County, Kentucky

Notes for Mary "Polly" Martin:

Census information follows:

1850 District 1, Pulaski County, Kentucky
1004/1004
Mary Barnett, 49, f,
Elizabeth, 22, f, b Ky
Francis J., 21, m, farmer, b Ky
Thursday J., 19, f, b Ky
Almeda, 18, f, b Ky
Nancy, 17, f, b Ky
Sherrod, 15, m, b Ky
Mahala, 15, f, b Ky
Cintha, 11, f, b Ky
Alexander, 8, m, b Ky

1860 District 2, Pulaski County, Kentucky Post Office Somerset
466/456
Mary Barnett, 65, ?m?, farmer, 0, 75, b Ky
Almeda, 30, f, b Ky
Cyntha, 20, f, b Ky
Alexander, 18, m, b Ky

More About Mary "Polly" Martin:
Census: 1880, Living in District 8, Pulaski County, Kentucky with daughter Cyntha Barnett Taylor

More About John Barnett and Mary Martin:
Marriage: January 24, 1825, Pulaski County, Kentucky

Children of John Barnett and Mary Martin are:

i. Unknown F Barnett, born Bet. 1820 - 1825.

ii. Unknown M Barnett, born Bet. 1825 - 1830.

iii. Elizabeth Barnett, born Abt. 1828 in Kentucky; married Levi Vanover January 29, 1851 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; born April 02, 1831 in Kentucky; died June 26, 1922 in McCreary County, Kentucky.

More About Levi Vanover:
Burial: Eagle Creek Cemetary, McCreary County, Kentucky

More About Levi Vanover and Elizabeth Barnett:
Marriage: January 29, 1851, Pulaski County, Kentucky

6 iv. Francis Jackson Barnett, born Abt. 1829 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; died Aft. 1880; married (1) Catherine Taylor; married (2) Lucinda Wilson January 08, 1872 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

v. Almeda Barnett, born Abt. 1830 in Kentucky.

vi. Thursday J. Barnett, born Abt. 1831 in Kentucky.

vii. Nancy Barnett, born Abt. 1833 in Kentucky; married John Perry February 15, 1853 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

More About John Perry and Nancy Barnett:
Marriage: February 15, 1853, Pulaski County, Kentucky

viii. Mahala W. Barnett, born Abt. 1835 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; married Daniel Cox May 24, 1857 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; born 1835 in Whitley County, Kentucky.

More About Daniel Cox and Mahala Barnett:
Marriage: May 24, 1857, Pulaski County, Kentucky

ix. Sherrod W. Barnett, born January 12, 1836 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; married Tabitha Jane Hyden December 10, 1865 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; born 1842 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

Notes for Sherrod W. Barnett:
Was a private in "F" Company, 12th Kentucky volunteers during the Civil War.

More About Sherrod Barnett and Tabitha Hyden:
Marriage: December 10, 1865, Pulaski County, Kentucky

x. Cynthia N. Barnett, born 1840 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; died Aft. 1880; married (1) Solomon Taylor February 11, 1861 in Whitley County, Kentucky; born Abt. 1841 in North Carolina; died February 09, 1863 in Lebanon, Kentucky; married (2) Stephen Lovell April 05, 1889 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; born Abt. 1840 in Kentucky; died March 06, 1901 in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Notes for Cynthia N. Barnett:

Census information follows:

1880 Disctict 8, Pulaski County, Kentucky
20/20
Cyntha Taylor, w, f, 38, head, widow, keeping house, b Ky, father b Va, mother b Tenn, cannot read or write
James E., w, m, 18, son, single, works on farm, b Ky, father b NC, mother b Ky, cannot write
Amanda Barnett, w, f, 47, sister, single, servant, b Ky, father b Va, mother b Tenn, cannot read or write
Sylvester Barnett, w, m, 24, servant, single, servant, b Ky, father b Ky, mother b NC, cannot read or write
Mary Barnett, w, f, 84, mother, widow, keeping house, b Tenn, father b Va, mother b Va, cannot read or write

More About Solomon Taylor and Cynthia Barnett:
Marriage: February 11, 1861, Whitley County, Kentucky

xi. Alexander Barnett, born Abt. 1842 in Kentucky; died April 02, 1911 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; married Rosey (Barnett); born Abt. 1844 in Kentucky.

Generation No. 5

16. John Shelby Martin, Sr., born Bet. 1780 - 1785 in Virginia; died Bet. 1825 - 1830 in Wayne County, Kentucky. He was the son of 32. John Martin. He married 17. Nancy Elizabeth Hancock Abt. 1811.

17. Nancy Elizabeth Hancock, born Abt. 1785 in Virginia; died Aft. 1880. She was the daughter of 34. Benjamin Hancock and 35. Sarah S. Lane.

Notes for John Shelby Martin, Sr.:

Census information follows:

1810 Wayne County, Kentucky
John Martin
one male under age 10, one male age 16-26, one female age 16-26, one female age 45 and up

1820 Wayne County, Kentucky
John Martin
three males under age 10, one male age 10-16, one male age 26-45, two females under age 10, one female age 26-45

John Martin, Sr. built the first Concord Church (Baptist) out of logs. He also built the first Mr. Pleasant Baptist Church out of logs.

John Martin Sr.'s will was probated in court 1831. The will was written
in Wayne Co., KY on 4th April 1825. Part of the disbursement of his
possessions was land he owned on Turkey Creek and Little South Fork
River. He names oldest sons Samuel & Benjamin as executors. A hard
won transcription of a microfilmed copy of the original will follows:
"In the name of God, Amen, I, John Martin, of the county of Wayne &
the state of ky, being old and nearing the uncertainty of life be of sound
mind and memory do make this my last will and testament."
1st - I give and bequeath Samuel Martin, my oldest son, a negro man
named Harris to keep or sell as he may see cause, but should said Harris
die before me the said Samuel Martin is to have five hundred dollars (a
lot of money then) out of the other property when sold, also my cupboard,
bible and razor (very important to the family, was considered a family
heirloom because it came from the old country), and this shall be his
share.
2nd - I give and bequeath to my son Benjamin Martin a tract of land on
which I now live to him and his heirs forever and this shall be his share.
3rd - It is my will and desire that my negro woman Jane have her liberty
to live with any of my children that may just please her.
4th - My will and desire that the balance of any property be sold and
such credit as my greeland (pasture land or fields to us), shall this to
and the proceeds of said sale, when collected, to be paid to my sons
John and William equally.
I nominate and appoint Samuel Martin & Benjamin Martin, my sons,
executors of this my last will and testament in testimony whereof I
have there this unto stamp hand and seal this 4 day of April 1825,
John Martin, Sr."

More About John Shelby Martin, Sr.:
Will: April 04, 1825, Probated 1831 in Wayne County, Kentucky

Notes for Nancy Elizabeth Hancock:

Census information follows:

1830 Wayne County, Kentucky
there are three Nancy Martin's who possibly fit, the first being the most likely
Nancy Martin
one male age 5-10, one male age 10-15, one male age 15-20, one female under age 5, one female age 10-15, two females age 15-20, one female age 40-50
Nancy Martin
one male age 5-10, one male age 10-15, one male age 15-20, one female age 10-15, two females age 15-20, one female age 40-50
Nancy Martin
one male age 5-10, one male age 10-15, one male age 15-20, one female age 10-15, two females age 15-20, one female age 40-50

More About Nancy Elizabeth Hancock:
Census: 1870, Living in District 5, Wayne County, Kentucky with daughter Linda

More About John Martin and Nancy Hancock:
Marriage: Abt. 1811

Children of John Martin and Nancy Hancock are:

i. Samuel Martin, born Abt. 1812 in Pickett (formerly Overton) County, Tennessee.

ii. Benjamin Martin, born Abt. 1814 in Pickett (formerly Overton) County, Tennessee.

iii. Malinda Martin, born 1816 in Pickett (formerly Overton) County, Tennessee; married Jacob Lorton.

8 iv. William Martin, born 1817 in Pickett (formerly Overton) County, Tennessee; died November 10, 1918 in Wayne County, Kentucky; married Mary "Polly" Hubbard Abt. 1835 in Wayne County, Kentucky.

v. Linda Martin, born 1820; married Robert Morgan.

Notes for Robert Morgan:
Census information follows:

1870 District 5, Wayne County, Kentucky Post Office Monticello
229/229
Jacob Lorton, 54, m, farmer, 100, 350, b Ky
Linda, 50, f, keeping house, b Ky
Jane, 18, f, at home, b Ky
Nancy Martin, 85, f, b Ky

vi. Ann Martin, born 1822; married John Broughton.

vii. John Martin, Jr., born 1825 in Kentucky; married Elizabeth Lorton March 30, 1843; born Abt. 1823 in Kentucky; died Abt. 1890.

Notes for John Martin, Jr.:
Census information follows:

1850 Division 2, Wayne County, Kentucky
John Martin 25 1824 Kentucky Male Division 2, Wayne, KY
Elizabeth Martin 27 1822 Kentucky Female Division 2, Wayne, KY
James H Martin 6 1843 Kentucky Male Division 2, Wayne, KY
William S Martin 3 1846 Kentucky Female Division 2, Wayne, KY
Sarah J Martin 1 1848 Kentucky Female Division 2, Wayne, KY

1860 Wayne County, Kentucky
John Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 35 1824 Kentucky Male
Elizabeth Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 40 1819 Kentucky Female
James H Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 16 1843 Kentucky Male
William S Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 13 1846 Kentucky Male
Sarah Jane Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 11 1848 Kentucky Female
Nancy Em Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 7 1852 Kentucky Female
Randolph Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 4 1855 Kentucky Male
Jacob F Martin Not Stated, Wayne, KY 1 1858 Kentucky Male

More About John Martin and Elizabeth Lorton:
Marriage: March 30, 1843

viii. Nancy Jane Martin, born 1826; married James Dougherty.

26. Moses Martin III, born January 12, 1755 in Bedford County, Virginia; died August 29, 1837 in Wayne County, Kentucky. He was the son of 52. Moses Martin II and 53. Mary Evans. He married 27. Anna Heath June 1777 in Surry County, North Carolina.

27. Anna Heath, born July 13, 1755 in Albemarle Parish, Surry County, Virginia; died 1840 in Wayne County, Kentucky. She was the daughter of 54. Thomas Heath and 55. Sarah (Heath).

Notes for Moses Martin III:
Census information follows:

1810 Pulaski County, Kentucky
Moses Martin
one male under age 10, one male age 26-45, two males age 45 and up, two females under age 10, two females age 10-16. one female age 16-26, one female age 26-45

Moses Martin, of Pulaske Co, Kentucky, aged 78 years
Application made in January, 1833. While residing in Surrey County,
N. C.,in 1776, he was drafted, for nine months, in the company of Capt,
Richard Goode, and regiment of Colonel Martin Armstrong; they marched
and joined the forces under Gen, Rutherford. An express arrived from
Virginia, asking for reinforcements,which caused, after consultation,
his, regiment being sent to that State, under the command of Lieut,
Col. Williams, and which joined the forces under Gen, Christy, at the
long island of Holstein, where he was appointed a drummer. Soon after
they marched against the Indians,and they were for a time stationed at
Big Island town; also at Chillhome, He was in no regular battle, but he
was in two or three skirmishes with the Indians.
He was born in Bedford County, Va, Jan, 12, 1755, and he resided in
Surrey County, for ten years after his discharge.
He then moved to Knox County, Tenn., and thence to Pulaski County, Ky.
He died Aug 29, 1837. He married in June, 1777, Ann Heath, who in April,
1839, was living in Wayne County, Ky., aged 79 years.
CHILDREN
William, b.April 17, 1778.
Alee, b.Aug 19, 1780.
John, b.May 17, 1784.
Mathew, b.May 2, 1788.
Elizabeth, b. March 12, 1791.
mary, b. Oct 18, 1796.
Lois, b. Dec 31, 1798.
Eds, b. Aug 12, 1801, m. a James.
Moses, b. Jan. 8,1807.
On the same bible- leaf, but not their child probably, is recorded, Mary
Ann Martin, born April 10, 1821. (Widow"s File No. 8,415.)

More About Moses Martin and Anna Heath:
Marriage: June 1777, Surry County, North Carolina

Children of Moses Martin and Anna Heath are:

i. Robert Martin

ii. William Martin, born April 17, 1778 in Surry County, North Carolina; married Rachel Lash May 20, 1799 in Garrard County, Kentucky.

More About William Martin and Rachel Lash:
Marriage: May 20, 1799, Garrard County, Kentucky

iii. Alex or Alac Martin, born August 19, 1780 in Surry County, North Carolina.

iv. John "Johnson" Martin, born May 17, 1784 in Surry County, North Carolina; died April 16, 1860 in Somerset, Pulaski County, Kentucky; married Rachel Dobbs 1802; born 1784; died November 26, 1858.

Notes for John "Johnson" Martin:
Census information follows:

1810 Pulaski County, Kentucky
Johnson Martin
two males under age 10, two males age 45 and up, two females under age 10, one female age 26-45

1820 Pulaski County, Kentucky
Johnson Martin
one male age 10-16, one male age 18-26, one male age 26-45, one female age 10-16, one female age 16-26, one female age 26-45

1830 Pulaski County, Kentucky
Johnston Martin
one male age 40-50, one female age 50-60

Served 2 months 21 days as a privete in Capt Samuel Tate's Company, attached to the 7th Regiment of Kentucky Mounted Volunteers, Commanded by Colonel Micah Taul and was discharged December 31, 1813 at Somerset, Kentucky. Applied December 28, 1850 for the bounty land. He resided at Somerset and was 66 years old. He was allowed 40 acres. On March 31, 1855 he applied for 120 additional acres.

Will of John Martin
In the name of god Amen, I John Martin of Pulaski County and State of Kentucky am feeble in body strenth but strong in mind doth make my last will and
testiment Amen I doth will and bequeath to my son Benjamin Martin all my lands and also my interest in one yoke of oxens which we owned betwixt us I also will and bequeath to Rebecky Marrow my mare and also my flax wheel and also one red and white sided heifer. I also will to my Daughters all my household furniture to be equally divided betweene them I also will to Anny Woolsy and marthy penningtons ars five dollrs to Annys and five to marthys and all the balance of the property which is not above named and all my money to be equally divided aongst all my children except Benjamin an Annys ars adn marthys ars I also appoint my sons Moses and william Martin my executors this february 18th one thousand eight hundred and sixty
John Martin
State of Kentucky
Pulaski County Lct (?)
I .James _?_ Alcorn Clerk of the
County Court for the county aforesaid do certify that at a County Court
held for the County afs.
On the 16 day of April 1860 the foregoing instrument of writing
purporting to be the Last Will & Testament of John Martin dec.
was produced to the court & proven to be the Act and deed of the said
John Martin dec.__?__ oaths of William Davidson & A J Heath Subscribing
witnesses thereto--whereupon the said will being examined and approved by
the Court was Ordered to be recorded which has been done accordingly
together with this (marked out "forgoing) Certificate given under my hand
this 24 day of august 1860
(On a sep. piece of paper or outside of the will is)
Attest
William Davidson
A J heathe

More About John "Johnson" Martin:
Cause of Death: Dropsy
More About John Martin and Rachel Dobbs:
Marriage: 1802

v. Matthew Martin, born May 02, 1788 in Knox County, Tennessee.

vi. Elizabeth Martin, born March 12, 1791 in Knox County, Tennessee.

13 vii. Mary "Polly" Martin, born October 18, 1796 in Knox County, Tennessee; died Aft. 1880 in Edinburgh, Johnson County, Indiana; married John Barnett January 24, 1825 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.
viii. Lois or Loes Martin, born December 31, 1798 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

ix. Eda or Edee Martin, born August 12, 1801 in Pulaski County, Kentucky; married J. Jones in Wayne County, Kentucky.

More About J. Jones and Eda Martin:
Marriage: Wayne County, Kentucky

x. Moses Tate Martin, born January 08, 1807 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

xi. Mary Ann Martin, born April 10, 1821 in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

Cheers, Michael
Kent Island, Maryland

This thread: