MARQUIS-L ArchivesArchiver > MARQUIS > 2002-04 > 1018803596
Subject: Re: Marquis family in Virginia
Date: 14 Apr 2002 10:59:56 -0600
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
Try Winchester, Frederic Co., VA. There appears to be two lines of Marquis/Marquess etc. located there in the early 1800's. They were living on land lying on the north side of Opeck on Creek. Here is some info that may help in your search.
"Although we have not be able to document it, it is reasonable certain that the land on which the old house stands was granted to Wilson by Yost Hite. The Orange county records contain grants by Hite to Robert Wilson on May 5, 1740 (O.D.B. 4 - Page 14) and on February 17, 1736, to Thomas Wilson (O.D.B. 1 -Page 442), both of which grants were in the Kernstown area; and it is our belief that John Wilson acquired a part of this land.
In his will, proved April 7, 1762, John Wilson devised all of his land to JAMES MARQUIS AND WILLIAM MARQUIS. He further provided that James Marquis should dig for water and share what was found with William Marquis; that James Marquis should CHANGE HIS NAME TO WILSON MARQUIS; and that his heirs should collect from William Vance a sum due him "for last year's school keeping." (F.W.B. 3 - page 40). From this will and from the tombstone inscription in the Opequon Church Cemetery we can, we believe, ascertain the following facts or reasonable assumptions about John Wilson:
1. That he was a native of county Armagh in Northern Ireland or Ulster and that he came to Frederick County (or what was to be Frederick County) in 1737.
2. That his wife's name was really Mary Marquis and that James and William Marquis were her bothers.
3. That he never remarried after his wife's death in 1742 and that he had no children.
4. That by documentation as well as by "tradition", to use Dr. Foote's words, he was indeed the community schoolmaster.
5. That the land upon which he lived had no spring, which is also true of the present-day Madagan place.
On January 28, 1820, the heirs of WILLIAM MARQUIS conveyed to Charles Magill a tract of
200 acres on the drains of the Opequon joining Magill's other lands, which was devised to William Marquis by the last will and testament of John Wilson. (F.D.B. 44 - Page 494).
GRANTEE Glass, Robert. grantee.
DATE 2 November 1754.
NOTE Location: Frederick County.
NOTE Description: 544 acres lying on the north side of Opeckon adjoining Colvin, and Thos Marquis.
NOTE Source: Northern Neck Grants H, p. 529 (Reel 293).
NOTE Original survey exists.
NOTE Part of the index to recorded copies of land grants issued by the agents of the Fairfax Proprietary between 1690 and 1781 and by the Commonwealth between 1786 and 1874. Original and recorded surveys are also indexed when available. The collection is housed in the Archives at the Library of Virginia.
OTHER FORMAT Available on microfilm. Northern Neck Grants, reels 288-311.
SUBJECT Land titles -- Registration and transfer -- Virginia -- Frederick County.
SUBJECT Frederick County (Va.) -- History -- 18th century.
SUBJECT Land grants -- Virginia -- Frederick County. aat.
SUBJECT Surveys (land) -- Virginia -- Frederick County. aat.
ADDED ENTRY Marquis, Colvin.
ADDED ENTRY Marquis, Thos.
ADDED ENTRY Northern Neck Land Office. Northern Neck grants, 1690-1874.
ADDED ENTRY Northern Neck Land Office. Northern Neck surveys, 1697, 1722-1781"