MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2012-04 > 1335692807

From: Paul Benyon <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] Cap Charles Bowen or was that Rear Admiral Charles Bowen
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 10:46:47 +0100

Marie

Charles Bowen's entry in the Naval Biographical Dictionary (NBD) can
be found on the following rather long web page at :

http://www.pbenyon1.plus.com/Nbd/exec/B/Index.html

where it mentions, amongst his naval appointments etc., that "Capt.
Bowen married Mary Hannah, youngest daughter of the late Geo, Fisher,
Esq., of Hillside, co. Gloucester, by whom he has issue." The entry
for the O'Byrne's NBD dates from about 1845/6, since it only included
officers who appeared in the Navy List for 1 Jan 1845, and was
published in 1849.

He's still recorded in the Navy List for Sep 1853 as a retired Captain
and has disappeared from my next Navy List, which is for Feb 1855, so
regret am unable to comment with regards to his step up to Rear
Admiral, except to state that it was often the case that retired naval
officers were given a step up the promotion ladder when they were
retired, which was unpaid, and therefore little more than an honorary
promotion, and was, I believe, eventually done away with in the 1920s.

The reference to the "Gaz." in NBD is to the London Gazette, which you
can find on-line at :

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/home.aspx?geotype=London

take link to Search the Archive.

Paul