MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2010-01 > 1264442842

From: Mme_N_Carmichael <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] BRILLIANT, Liverpool to Jamaica,late 1830's - was "no subject"
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:07:22 -0800 (PST)

Hello Robyn,

The BRILLIANT in the Naval Database is more likely a Royal Navy ship than a merchantman. (It's a problem we all grapple with - multiple ships of the same name afloat concurrently.) For a merchantman, you might start with Lloyd's Registers on Google Books where you will find her as a barque of 278 tons built at Poole in 1829. For changes in master, ownership, voyages it is useful to look at every year's issue.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?q=editions%3A0gntIrPnb0vkpmg48K&id=83k4AAAAMAAJ&as_brr=1

The date you had for one sailing, 13 November, 1835, was the date the event appeared in the newspaper. The actual sailing date was November 5th.

Is it the vessel BRILLIANT or the master Farrell that interests you then? I've widened the search to include both, though of course, there may be more than one Captain Farrell.

When you get to the cargoes, I know what some of these abbreviations are, but not all.
tc = tierce, do = ditto, brl = barrel, hhds = hogsheads, kg = keg, not kilogram, t = ton, c = hundredweight, P D = the particular dock at L'pool

1)  From Naval Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, May 21, 1824; Issue 678
"Agnes, Farrall, hence at Jamaica"

2)  From: Postscript .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, December 2, 1831; Issue 1074
"Thurday Evening's Ship News
Sailed.-The Jamaica, Farrell, for Jamaica;

3)  From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, December 28, 1832; Issue 1130.
"Vessels Sailed
Thursday, Dec 20.
Jamaica, Farrell, for Jamaica"

4)  From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, March 29, 1833; Issue 1143
"Monday, March 25.
Jamaica, Farrell, ... hence at Jamaica"

5) From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, August 30, 1833; Issue 1165
"Tuesday, August 20
Jamaica, Farrell, from Jamaica for this port was spoken 8th inst. in lat. 51 25, lon. 21 10."

6)  From: Zoological Gardens.—We are glad to find that the attractions of this well-conducted and rational place of amusement con .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, January 31, 1834; Issue 1187.
"Since our last notice the following presents have been made: .......two pair of white Muscovy ducks, by Captain Farrell, ship Jamaica;"

7)  From: Imports .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, May 22, 1835; Issue 1255
"Brilliant, Lawrence, fm Jamaica with 258 h 86 tc sugar, 94 p rum, 30t logwood, 2 bx arrow-root, J B Yates and co. ... 40 p rum S Percival ... 2 h 2 brl sugar, 82 bx arrow-root, order."

8) From: Advertisements & Notices .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, May 29, 1835; Issue 1256
Advert for sale of "40 tons of solid NICARAGUA-WOOD, ex Jamaica, from Jamaica" [If that was your man on Jamaica above, then this is when he changed ships because #9 below is from the same issue of the paper, (but he wasn't with Brilliant long).]

9)  From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, May 29, 1835; Issue 1256
"Tuesday May 26
Brilliant, Farrall, hence for Jamaica, was off Bardsy 25th inst."

10)  From: Imports .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, September 25, 1835; Issue 1273.
"Brilliant, Farrall, fm Jamaica, with 234 h 26 tc 1 brl sugar, 402 pch 1 h 1 brl rum, 20t 10c logwood, 192 lancewood spars, 4 kg tamarinds, 2 bx succades, 900 coker nuts, J Brooks Yates and co. 32 h sugar, D and T Willis ... 19 do, 13 pch 1 brl rum, 192 lancewood spars, J Redmayne ... 4t 15c logwood, Holt and Tory ... 1 brl sugar, J Herdman ... 1 tc do, 1 pch rum, 1 brl coffee, J Gillbanks ... 1 brl sugar, 1 kg tamarinds, A Greaves-P Dk"

11)  From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, November 13, 1835; Issue 1280
"Vessels Sailed
Thursday, Nov. 5.
Brilliant, Farrell [for] Jamaica"

12)  From: Imports .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, September 22, 1837; Issue 1377
Brilliant, Gibson, fm Jamaica, 15 tc coffee, T. Addison ... 11 do, J. Mulholland and co. ... 6 do, J. Hall and co. ... 4 do, order ... 1 brl do, J. Poole ... 3 hhds sugar, 3 pch rum, J. Redmane ... 20 h sugar, 10 pch rum, D and T Willis ... 159 h 3 tc sugar, 135 pch 1 h rum, 14 tc 6 brl coffee, 1 brl orange peel, 24 tons 5c logwood, 5 tons fustic, 10 tons 13c lignumvitae, 20 kegs tamarinds, 42 lancewood spars, 2 h old copper returned ... J B Yates and co-P D"

13)  From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, April 20, 1838; Issue 1406
"Saturday, April 14
.... Came through the Crooked Island Passage in company with the Brilliant, Gibson, from Jamaica for this port, leaky."

14)  From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, July 27, 1838; Issue 1420
"Sunday, July 22
Brilliant, Gibson, hence at Jamaica"

15) From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, October 12, 1838; Issue 1431
"Vessels Entered For Loading
W. Rose & Co, Brilliant for Grenada
J B Yates, Royal Mint for Jamaica

16) From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, February 14, 1840; Issue 1441
"Monday, Feb. 10.
Oberon, Farrell, sailed from Valparaiso for Cabija 2nd Nov."

17)  From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, May 8, 1840; Issue 1513
"Vessels Entered For Loading.
South America.
150 Oberon, Farrell, Lima [for] T & J Brocklebank

18) From: Shipping Intelligence .
Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Friday, June 5, 1840; Issue 1517
"Vessels Sailed.
Saturday, May 30.
Kestrel, Farrell, Valparaiso

Regards,