Archiver > MAMIDDLE > 2006-07 > 1151878253

Subject: Re: Orphanages and Institutions in and around Stoneham, MA
Date: 2 Jul 2006 16:10:53 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

Message Board Post:

If there is a volunteer who is planning to go to the Middlesex Probate Court in Cambridge any time soon, they can look up the names in the Index volumes. This will give you a year and a town of adoption. I was thrilled to find my grandfather's youngest brother listed in the Index - it confirmed he was officially adopted, and we always just thought it was a "family" unofficial adoption.

The volunteer should try to look up both boys' names (just in case), and it should list them with their birth name and then with the adoptive family name - so twice in the index for one person.

No one has to order records - the volumes are there inside the file room, and accessible to all of the public. (Unless the volumes are out being rebound, which might be the case.)

Good luck!

This thread: