LYONS-L Archives

Archiver > LYONS > 2005-10 > 1130246223

Subject: Re: LYONS of Crindle, Limavady, Londonderry, N. Ireland
Date: 25 Oct 2005 07:17:03 -0600

Surnames: Lyons, Gibson
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/mbexec/msg/5538/AZx.2ACEB/2313.1

Message Board Post:

William, I couldn't resist answering your post since my William Lyons came from Ballyrashane, County Derry in N. Ireland. He was born 17 Nov 1755 and came to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania just in time to join the American Revolutionary War. He served several enlistments then married Margaret Gibson abt 1780/1 in Chester County, Pa. She was the daughter of Andrew and Margaret Gibson. After moving about in Pennsylvania for several years they came to Morgan (now Noble) County, Ohio where in 1832 he applied for a pension based on testamony given to the court regarding his service. He was awarded the pension but did not live to see it. His wife collected on it for a very short time. Their sons we know of were named John, Thomas, George, William, Jonathan and Andrew. My ancestor George, named his children Thomas, John, Nancy, Robert, Alexander, Catherine, George, William, Mary Jane, Hannah, Sarah Elizabeth, and Marquis.
We know there were some Lyons families in the area of Ballyrashane but the early records did not survive. He stated he brought the family Bible with him but it had been lost during their many journeys. I am hoping someday that someone researching their Lyons family will wonder about one of their ancestors who went to America and was never heard from again. Now that is optimism! Good Luck in your search. Connie

This thread: