LUNEN-LINKS-L Archives

Archiver > LUNEN-LINKS > 2002-12 > 1039212272

From: Robert Tuck <>
Subject: [LL] Rupert Zwicker
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 18:04:47 -0400

Dear Lunies,
obituary notice of the late Rupert Zwicker, a Mahone Bay native.

"ZWICKER - Rupert Edward Strum, 85, formerly of Mahone Bay, N.S., passed
away peacefully on March 8,2002, in Vancouver, B.C. He was the son of the
late William H.S. and Mable Zwicker of Mahone Bay. He was a graduate of the
Toronto Conservatory of Music and the Julliard School of Music in New York.
He taught music in the Mahone Bay area for a number of years. Surviving are
three nephews, Peter Burbury, Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Gordon
Gwynn-Timothy, Toronto, Ontario, and Jeffery Zwicker, Lockport, New York.
He was predeceased by sisters Dorothy (Gwynn-Timothy) and Evangeline
(Burbury), and brothers, Franklyn Zwicker, Lawrence Zwicker, and Alfred
Zwicker. A cemetery service will be held during the Interment in the Mahone
Bay Cemetery at 3 p.m. Thursday, September 12."

I have also learned that Jeffrey Zwicker, of Lockport, New York, referred
to above, has also died. I never met him. He is survived by four children,
but I don't have their names. I think he was the son of Franklyn Zwicker.
Franklyn and Lawrence emigrated to the United States. Lawrence served as an
officer in the U.S. Navy and Franklyn, I believe, became a top executive at
General Motors. Their uncle, the Rev. Henry (Harry) Zwicker, left Nova
Scotia to become a curate in the Episcopal Diocese of Albany, then he went
on to become rector of the parish of Grace Church, Lockport, in the same
diocese, where he remained for many years. In Lockport he married Florence
Harrison, widow of the founder of the Harrison Radiator Division of General
Motors (this perhaps helps to explain the connection between Franklyn
Zwicker and General Motors!). Florence Harrison also made a generous
donation to the University of King's College appeal that helped King's erect
its new buildings in Halifax after the destruction of the College by fire in
Windsor in 1921. In fact, it was Florence's $30,000 that put the appeal over
the top, if I remember correctly. She said that King's must be a fine
institution to produce men like Harry! Harry was Florence's third husband:
her first was lost at sea off Australia - and appeared to her at home,
dripping wet, while she was writing him a letter to tell her not to bother,
that he'd been drowned. Harry outlived Florence, however, and remarried -
this time a lady named Pauline. We always enjoyed Uncle Harry's summer time
visits when we were growing up in the Annapolis Valley no matter which wife.
There are good photos of Harry and his parents and siblings and Mahone
Bay in my book "Letters From Mahone Bay". Before he went to the US Harry was
rector of the Anglican parish of Newport, Hants County, in Nova Scotia,
where he built St. James's Church to plans supplied by his brother in law,
architect William Harris. He is remembered in Newport for having put his
foot in a pot of glue while the church was under construction.

Sorry to make such a lengthy posting.

Best wishes to all. Robert Tuck

This thread: