LOUISIANA-L Archives

Archiver > LOUISIANA > 2006-07 > 1152656862

From: "David Thom" <>
Subject: Virtues in Scotland
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:27:42 -0000

Rae,

Regarding your enquiry - although I know of Grace's, Favore's, and
Fortune's in my country I have yet to find any Virtue's here! However,
some sites which will help are as follows:

(information on surnames only)

www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search (often slow to access but worth persevering)

The 1841 Scottish Census shows the following names under Eliza Fortune:
VIRTUE Elisa, age12, Cotton Carder, born Ireland, Census place Gorbals
(Glasgow) VIRTUE Elizabeth, age20, Dress Maker, born Roxburghshire,
Census place Stitchel VIRTUE Elizth, age40, born Ireland, Census place
Abbey (Paisley)

Another site worth looking at is <www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk>

This is the main site for tracing Scottish ancestry. It is the General
Record Office for Scotland (Register House)
If you know where any of the family stayed, and the names of their
spouses, and approximate dates, you may be able to trace and find
Birth/Marriage/Death certificates for them (giving full details of
addresses, occupations, parents, etc) after 1855; or
before 1855, the names & locations. It is tricky to navigate at first
until you become familiar with it, and it is also rather expensive (here
anyway)at £6 for 30 search credits. Each individual search which is
'opened' takes away 1 credit and certificates take 5 credits to view.

I'm afraid that this is all the help I can offer. (What sort of bridges
did Mr Fortune build? e.g.Iron railway bridges, Stone road bridges, Wooden
countryside bridges? With that knowledge it may be easier to find some
further information.)

Regards,
David.

This thread: