LIST-UPDATE-L Archives

Archiver > LIST-UPDATE > 2006-08 > 1155962960

Subject: Re: [LIST-UPDATE] prepends, etc.
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 00:49:20 EDT

In a message dated 8/19/2006 12:37:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Tell that to the Board Admins who were hit with the same kind of notice ( or
lack thereof) on the 8th for new board work on the 10th- and the message
appeared on user boards and NOT on the admin boards- sound familiar?

More and more it is beginning to sound like the last time they had a major
update {sigh. The boards were down almost a week that time.

--
This is kind of off-topic for this list--but since the previous board update
occurred at a time when I was on board staff I can explain why there is

When you are moving data to new boards or an updated system you have to shut
down the existing boards while doing the data dump to migrate all the old
posts over to the new system. If you didn't, after you grabbed the data for
the move, users and admins would be posting and making edits and deletions in
the meantime that wouldn't be picked up for the new system. Also, at that
time we were merging TWO separate board systems (GenConnect and Family History
Boards) into one system and consolidating the duplicate boards--it was no
small task.

The above isn't the case with the list migration because the DATA--the
archives--is not moving. Only the management system is moving--the archives
remain where they are. So in that regard this is an easier transition. (Is that
maniacal laughter I hear in the background from Rob and Melissa?)

Joan

This thread: