LIST-UPDATE-L Archives

Archiver > LIST-UPDATE > 2006-08 > 1155477976

From: Margaret Olson <>
Subject: Re: [LIST-UPDATE] Mailman
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 09:06:16 -0500

At 03:12 AM 8/13/2006, Lauren wrote:
>Daryl:
>
>I may be mistaken, but, I do not think those pages are to be activated.
>Take your question to LO for a better answer.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Lauren
>
>On 8/12/06, Daryl Lytton <> wrote:
> > David Cann wrote:
> >
> > > It [user specific options page] is not up yet, but
> > > I understand it is coming. If it is anything like the
> > > one for List Admins though....
> >
> > It's packed full of features for the users :) And if the RW version is
> > like the "real" version, us admins can edit the html for the page. I assume
> > the RW version has the admin-editable home page for the lists also?
> >
> > And thank you, Joan!
> >
> > Daryl

In this case, I think this list is the RIGHT place for the
message. Followups about list manager functions such as using html
on the main list page do, I agree, belong on Listowners-L because
there is a footer which says so, provided by the manager of this list.

ALL list subscribers, however, will be interested in the fact that
there are "full features for the users". The differences between
what they/we see now and what we'll sse a week from now is on topic,
I would think. Subscribers to RW lists who also subscribe to other
lists which use Mailman may be aware of those features and will want
to know whether RW is going to enable those features, or if they
don't, then why not.

Users of most Mailman lists are able to customize the way they get
email (using a web page). I thought I read in a message earlier that
enabling it for RW will not be done until after the new RW
registration is enabled for everyone (or something approximating
that). Lauren's understanding seems to differ. I guess we'll find out soon.

I, too, manage Mailman lists (on two different servers). I have more
control over the features on one server than on the other one. I
really do like Mailman.

Anyhow, I wouldn't mind hearing comments about what the users will be
able to do for themselves, and questions about what the options will
be. One option mentioned elsewhere is that users will be able to set
themselves to "no mail" when they go on vacation. No more need to
unsubscribe and then resubscribe, though that is possible, too.

Margaret

This thread: