LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1017191971

From: "William Lindsey" <>
Subject: [LINDSAY] Dennis as Given Name, Lindsay/Lindsey Families
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:19:31 -0600

Tom,

You're right, the Dionysian association does seem to fit some of the
lightsome Lindsays.

My Oxford dictionary of English Christian names says that the given name
Dennis derives from the Greek Dionysios through Latin Dionysius, and was
particularly popular in France, and in England up to the 17th century. This
source says it has persisted in Ireland up to the present, however, often as
a substitute for the native Irish name Donnchadh.

I have found, in working on the Oliver family of VA, GA, and AL--which ties
into the McCarty line that used Dionysius/Dennis both in Ireland and VA as a
common given name--that the Olivers used Dionysius and Dennis
interchangeably, but eventually opted for the anglicized form of Dennis.

Fascinating that this name has run through a number of our Lindsay families
for a number of generations.

Bill