LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1017106175

From: Tom Lindsay <>
Subject: RE: [LINDSAY] Re: Francis A. LINDSAY
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 20:29:35 -0500

Thanks, Phil:

Fascinating input.

Tom Lindsay in sunny FL

-----Original Message-----
From: INTERNET:
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 4:23 PM
To: INTERNET:

Hello Tom and all,

In a FWIW, the oral history is probably either "nail on the head" or
correct in the same sense that the kid's game "Telephone" (where kids are
in a
circle and pass a story to child next to them, while in a circle, then
compare
results. Never the same in details, but always recognizably the same story.
The " D' " in D'Ennis would indicate an old Norman influence. Ireland
has
many examples (D'Arcy, etc.). But the Ennis is also definitely Irish (I
should
say Gaelic for it is in Wales and Scotland, also). Ennis is an
Anglicization of
the Gaelic word "Inis" meaning "island". So names like Inishowen,
Inishboffin,
etc. are found all over Ireland. But also names like Enniskillen (in County
Fermanagh, as it happens) and Ennis, in County Clare.
Long and the short of it would be this. If you have Dennis as a family
name
in your Lindsays, it is as close to a sure thing as it can get that the
line
originated in Ireland. Whether they were Scots before coming to Ireland or
left
over in Ireland from Strongbow's invasion, they would have come to America
from
Ireland.

Best Regards,

Phil