LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1017105596

From: "William Lindsey" <>
Subject: [LINDSAY] Dennis Lindsay/Lindsey: Comments about the Given Name
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:20:03 -0600

Tom,

My Lindsey line is another that uses Dennis as a given name as far back as I
can track it, which is to about 1710 in VA. I descend from a Dennis Lindsey
that I first find in Spotsylvania Co., VA, records in 1728. By 1734/5, he
shows up in Brunswick Co., VA, briefly, and thereafter was in Edgecombe,
later Granville, Co., NC, until he died in Aug. 1762. He left a son William
who appears to be my ancestor, who had a son Dennis. That Dennis had a son
Mark, who in turn had another son Dennis. This Dennis was father of Mark
Jefferson Lindsey, whose son Alexander Cobb Lindsey was father of Benjamin
Dennis Lindsey. Benjamin Dennis Lindsey was father of Benjamin Dennis
Lindsey, my father. I'm another Dennis, Wm. Dennis.

Since I can't connect the Dennis b. abt. 1710 to any of the other VA Lindsay
families of this period, I'm not sure where the given name originated in
this line. There was another Dennis Lindsey living in St. Paul's Parish,
Stafford Co., VA, up to 1742, who also left descendants who have used Dennis
as a given name for generations. Whether my Dennis is related to this
Dennis, I don't know.

You're right about the Irish connection. Families using Dennis as a given
name in the period in question tended to have Irish roots. For instance,
the McCarty family of colonial VA, who came to VA from Ireland, used
Dionysius/Dennis for many generations as a given name, and families that
intermarried with the McCartys often picked the name up from them. It's
possible that some of the early VA Lindsay lines using Dennis as a given
name had McCarty ties by marriage.

Note that in this case Dennis is an anglicization of the name Dionysius.

I'll gladly share information on these Lindsey lines if anyone would need
it.

Bill Lindsey