LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1016915838

From: Philip Lindsey <>
Subject: [LINDSAY] Lost and Found: Laban Lindsey (long)( a saga?)<g>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:38:18 -0600

Hello List and (particularly) Donovan Lindsay,

Several days ago Ron Lindsay sent out a very significant
email which addresses the subject of collaborative efforts
in Lindsay Genealogy. This is particularly important (IMHO)
due to the ongoing Lindsay DNA project at ClanLindsay.org.
That email was followed by a number of insightful responses
and both email and responses leave much food for thought.

This list has existed a long time with the purpose of
allowing members to trade information, ideas, and data. In
general, functioning as a "virtual" meeting place where we
have the opportunity to help each other in our searches,
often hoping to meet a "cousin" from our own line.

But, mostly the connections are made one at a time. And
as helpful as that might be with a brick wall problem, it is
still piecemeal work, and slow. What Ron is proposing is a
step forward using modern technology and applying efficient
methods to divide the work. Reinventing wheels might be fun
sometimes, but it is not terribly productive at something as
time consuming as genealogy.

IMO, Ron is on the right track if this can be done
successfully. Many hands make light work, to quote an old
saw. So I am sending email to the List as well as Donovan,
to show that generic Lindsay research, collected and
searchable, will always be of benefit somewhere, to someone,
even if it is not our own line. So, this is chapter one of
Donovan's lost (and found) family and how it (easily) came
about.

In years past I have occasionally posted about some of
the remarkably singular names that Lindsays give their
children. Consequently, I always have an eye out for
anything odd. And several years back I collected a Laban
Lindsay for my database. It was from a marriage record in
North Carolina, pulled from Hicks History of Granville
County. Since that time the same marriage has appeared in
different sources and I have filed those, also.

In November Donovan Lindsay wrote the List looking for a
Laban Lindsay (I have copied below the emails from Donovan
in date order for the readers ease of reference). Even
though Donovan mentions Missouri in his first email, I had
(with that eye for odd names) already noticed a Labern
Linsay in the 1870 Missouri Federal Census while I was
compiling the 1820 through 1870 Missouri census for Lindsays
a few years ago. At the time I remember thinking that the
name was "odd" enough that there was probably some
connection with the NC Laban Lindsay. And I promptly forgot
about it. But after Donovan's November email, I sent a
series of emails to get this detail or that. And he sent me
what he knew.

To save time, the reader can refer to the emails from
Donovan for the progression of events, and I will list below
the data that I found that connects Donovan's Missouri
Lindsays to NC and to the original marriage. There is still
a slight mystery surrounding the name "Sabreth", but I think
there is enough below (but only by adding Donovan's own
information) to connect the NC 1782 marriage to and 1870
Greene County, Missouri family.

First the marriage:

Labon Lindsey m. Susanna(h) Johnson in Granville County,
NC, 4/14/1782. Bondsman was William Searcy.

One might assume that this Laban Lindsey is 21 years
old, or so, at his marriage. Considering that date we find
Laban Lindsey very close (both physically and in time) to
the Battles of Cowpens, the Battle of Kings Mountain and,
more importantly, very close to the Battle of Guilford
Courthouse. With that, I decided to look for Revolutionary
Pension Records

Second, the military history.

Laban Lindsey, Continental Soldier and North Carolina
Militiaman

And here is our Laban Lindsey! Looking at the pension record
shows that he was born about 1755.

LABAN LINDSAY
SURRY COUNTY
SERGEANT
NORTH CAROLINA MILITIA
$30.00 ANNUAL ALLOWANCE
$90.00 AMOUNT RECEIVED
OCTOBER 7, 1833 PENSION STARTED
AGE 78

I also found David Lindsey of Currituck County but have
no particular reason to believe they are connected. Still,
finding Lindsey information, I swept it into the database
for anyone who needs cites on David (the listing below makes
three in the database for this David).

DAVID LINDSEY
CURRITUCK COUNTY
PRIVATE
NORTH CAROLINA MILITIA
$80.00 ANNUAL ALLOWANCE
$240.00 AMOUNT RECEIVED
AUGUST 28, 1833 PENSION STARTED
AGE 82

(3) Labon Lindsey descendants identified in Missouri

I later find (on the 1870 Missouri Census) that the
Missouri Labern Linsay was born in 1819. This raises the
question of who is the father of the Missouri Labern Linsay.
Is Laban, Continental Soldier (and age 64 in 1819), too old
to make them father and son? I expect so, but his
Revolutionary War records would be needed to see if Susannah
Johnson was still his wife in 1819 (mothering at 64 would be
a sight more remarkable than fathering).

On the far extreme, there is the possibility of having
two generations between Laban Lindsey, Continental Soldier,
and the Labern Linsay that Donovan first wrote about.
Continental Soldier Laban Lindsey could have had a male
child in 1783, who could have fathered another male by 1800
to 1802, who then fathered Labern Linsay in 1819. So who was
the father of Labern Linsay? Laban Lindsey, Continental
Soldier? Sabreth and another Laban? Or could the line
include them all?

I expect that there are estate papers in Greene county,
MO which tell the tale. Or Civil War service records. But
knowing the surrounding counties in Missouri, and some of
the Lindsays who came from there, I think there are
relatives of Donovan reading this email right now (if they
aren't already plumb tuckered out). They may well have the
information in a desk drawer. Ot on their genealogy program.

If not, this can be the exciting payoff for Donovan when
he gets 6, or 60 pages or more of documents from NARA or the
Missouri Archives detailing Laban Lindsey's Revolutionary
service and Labern's Civil War service. And of those of the
possible/probable generations between the two.

The only question really left at this point (IMHO) was
whether this was Donovan's Laban?

Considering that the Census had the name as Labern
Linsay in 1870, while NC's Laban was an *sey* and Donovan
himself is *say*, could there be a near miss? My own
experience with the spellings of the census takers had me
convinced (that the two were directly connected). And at
least it wasn't another John, James or William. But Donovan
still needed something solid to hang his hat on.

On January 28, 2002 Donovan gave me enough to make a
positive ID. The names of Labon/Labern's wife and siblings.
After a wild goose chase after what I believed was a mention
of Labern's CW records (and which I still think is on the
hard disk somewhere), I turned my attention back to the
census. But that had to wait until this past week, as it is
not online. Then I dropped Donovan an email to let him know
we had our man and that I would send him what I had found.

But then Ron's excellent email with proposals for
cooperative effort came. And suddenly this isolated little
transaction of chasing down Labern seemed apropos. After
all, if I could help connect one branch to another simply by
keeping track of all of the Linds*y information I had found
myself, then imagine what we could do together!

So there you have it. And below is what I found in
Greene Co, MO. stacked against what Donovan told me he was
told they should be. Compare the two, bearing in mind kids
dying and leaving home to marry.

Donovan's
List
The Greene CO, MO Census

Name Age Sex Birth
place Name Age
Sex Birth place

Laban ? M
NC Labern
51 M NC
Margaret ? F
NC Margaret
51 F NC
Martha ? F NC
Sarah ? F NC
Jane ? F
NC Jane W.
21 F NC
Emma ? F
NC Emma S.
18 F NC
Mary ? F
NC Mary D.
8 F NC
William ? M NC
John ? M
NC John H.
15 M NC
Columbus ? M
NC Theophalus C.
12 M NC
Andrew ? M
NC Andrew
10 M NC

I imagine that in 1870 Martha and Sarah are married or
deceased.

William was probably the oldest male and established
himself on his own. Unless an early death took him, William
would likely have taken part in the CW and his records would
be either at NARA or the Missouri Archives (if he fought
from Missouri). Given the area, it was probable the he would
have fought for the Union. This despite his NC roots, and
made more even more likely by the fact that we find
Donovan's direct ancestor north living in a Union State
after the CW (per Donovan's email).

Donovan's Columbus is, of course, Theophalus C.(olumbus)
Linsay. I suspect Theophalus could tell you why he went by
his middle name. <grin>

One interesting note is the time frame of the arrival in
Missouri. It places the wife, at least, in NC until after
the CW had already begun. Did they come to Missouri during,
or after, the Civil War? Why? What Lindsays were they
related to? Or did they "pull up stakes and leave Dodge", as
the saying goes. If so, why?

I apologize for the enormous length of this letter. But
I wanted to convey some idea of the possibilities of the
implementation of Ron's suggestions and seemed only able to
do it by relating this account. If I, with my little bit of
data, can help make a connection, what could all of us
working together come up with?

All of that said, I will make a guess. Those with
Lindsay-Frost roots will find that Labern Linsay, of Greene
County, Missouri, his descendants, and Donovan himself, of
course, will match the Lindsay-Frost branch on the
ClanLindsay.org DNA testing.

Meantime, do any of you Listers see your connections to
Donovan Lindsay? I know there were just a year or two ago.

Lastly, a prayer for Donovan and his mother (read his
last email, please). It will not be an easy time. I hope
this little connection here might make it possible for some
cousin to step forward in time to grieve with Donovan.

My Best Regards and Blessings to All on This List,

Phil

Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:19:20 EST

My Lindsay , entered thru virginia and then settled in North
Carolina, until the civil war then some of them migrated to
Missourie, I have no idea, what this was about or what
happen to them. My grt.grd. fr. said his fr. Laban a couple
of sisters left after the civil war and went to live there.
I will write more later if You reply. O.K. thanks, Donovan
Lindsay
from, Indianapolis, Indiana.

Mon, 28 Jan 2002 16:32:29 EST

Hello-Phil, sorry I have been so slow to reply. No, I don't
know much about this web-thing. I don' t remember if I sent
You the following or not but here goes. My grt.grd.fr.Alfred
was born in N.C. in Surry Co.orYadkin Co.about 1844. He and
his fr.Laban are listed in the 1850 census in Surry
Co.Laban's wife was a Margaret Day. They had these children
as listed by my grt.grd.fr. sisters,Martha,Sarah,Jane,
Emma&Mary==brothers, William,John,Columbus,&Andrew . My
grt.grd.fr.Alfred
A.Lindsay, never said much about all this as I wrote the
last. Sabreth Lindsay , was Laban's fr. I know this is
not much,but it is all I have. I sure wish the sisters and
others who went to Missouri had kept in touch.
Grt.grd.fr.said that our branch of Lindsay's, originally
came from Glasgow , Scotland: If that bit is of any value.

If You would write back, much is
appreciated.
Your-Cousin, Donovan Lindsay

Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:42:22 EST

Dear Katie, I am trying to find family of Laben,or
Laban,Lindsay of Yadkin
co.N.C. His children Andrew,Colombus,William & Aflred , Do
you have any info?
I, do have other info,about , Laban"s wife Margaret Day!
Yadkin Co. you do say?
Please write an tell me more. We may have something here.
Donovan Lindsay , sends his best regards.

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:33:31 EST

Well I hope this helps, Grt.grt.grd.fr.Laben Lindsay is
registered in the 1850 census of Surry, NC.
My-Grt.grd.fr.Alfred
A.Lindsay is also listed. Alfred had five
sisters,Martha,Sarah,Emma,Jane&Mary: Four
bros.William,John,Columbus&Andrew.

Legend has it, two of the sisters moved to Missouri sometime
near the end of,or after the Civil
War. Perhaps Laben and his wife Margaret Day also migrated?
I believe Laben"s father was of the same name.
Little is known of what
happened to
Alfred's parents , brothers & sisters after the Civil War.
Alfred never
returned to N.C. and was visited by Columbus in Morristown ,
In
around 1920 or so.He{Columbus} then was said to live
someplace in Ohio.
Any information you can add is
appreciated.
Thank-You,Donovan Lindsay

Fri, 22 Mar 2002 00:06:03 EST

Hi, Phil, I just got home, if i am repeating myself, i
apologize, my Mother
is dieing of pacreatic cancer, i have been her major care
giver for the last
couple of months, & am quite tired , but excited of which
You responded. I
wil try to explain Sabreth, in 1979 or so I thought I found
him as father of
Laben in N.C.but have lost those records which another
story. But anyway,
Laben's fr.may have been also Laben & his father may have
been Sabreth, not
sure of the spelling. Write back with what you can. I
will be excited to
find my lost cousins. Endure with Strenght, Ya-Cousin,
Donovan Lindsay, from
Indianapolis.

This thread: