LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1016912139

From: "William Lindsey" <>
Subject: [LINDSAY] Lindsay Research Project
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 13:35:44 -0600

Ron,

The LINDSAY NEWSLETTER: SOUTHERN COLONIAL BRANCHES was published from Feb.
1981 to Nov. 1982 by Elliott Lindsey Stringham, 124 East 71st St. New York,
NY 10021. To the best of my knowledge, it ceased publication after that,
though other group members may have more accurate information about this. I
have hard copies of all issues from Feb. 1981 to Nov. 1982. I don't know
whether they're copyrighted. If so, it may be possible for us to see if
Elliott L. Stringham would permit them to be scanned and uploaded to the
website.

In the initial issue (vol. 1,1, Feb. 1981), there's an article by William
Thorndale (pp. 3-6) noting that the goal of the project was to "bring
together all this data [i.e., on the Southern colonial lines] and untanlge
the Southern colonial Lindsays once and for all" (p. 5). Thorndale (who is,
by the way, a descendant of Edmond Lindsey of Porttobacco, MD) suggests that
the best way to approach this research project was to have descendants of
all lines pool data, reports, queries, documents, and research problems.
The hope was to arrange the various lines into family groups.

I'm not entirely sure what caused the project to end precipitously, but I do
know from suggestions in later articles (and in this article by William
Thorndale) that, like me, many other descendants of these Southern colonial
Lindsay lines have found it difficult to make the connections back to
immigrant ancestors--and even to trace the line back with absolute
certainty. Part of the problem, as some of our group members have pointed
out, is that much misinformation has been circulated about these families.

On the other hand, as you point out very convincingly, things have changed
radically since the early 1980s. With the computer and Internet, it is
possible for information to be gathered, assimilated, and shared in ways
undreamt of in the 1980s.

I should add that the various issues of the newsletter did a wonderful job
of publishing information on the various Southern Lindsay/Lindsey lines.
There are a number of great articles by Wm. Thorndale sorting out his line,
and showing how he used land records to identify family groups and link
generations as they migrated south.

About the Braselton/Brazelton project: it has been rather informal, but has,
nevertheless, done a great deal to sort out the various lines emanating from
the ancestor John Brazelton of Frederick Co., MD. There's a discussion
among several of us right now about formalizing the project and getting a
website going. For several years, a newsletter was produced by John
Brazelton, who has spearheaded the project. This made many valuable
contributions to the attempt to sort out family lines and dispel
misinformation. Like us Lindsays with the reports of the Lindsay Family
Association of America, the Brazeltons/Braseltons have an extensive
collection of material (much of it correspondence, but also first-hand
documents) gathered together early in the 20th century by a group called the
Brazelton Research Circle. That material has been both bane and blessing.
The research circle made great strides in painting a comprehensive picture
of the family as it spread across the U.S. But it also spread stories and
myths that are, in some cases, simply false and that have been hard to
dispel, once they got circulated.

To repeat: you're very right when you noted that the Internet allows this
kind of work to proceed very quickly, provided folks are willing to pool
information. I've seen that potential in the Brazelton/Braselton group, as
we have sifted the early-20th century reports and put together
well-documented lineages emanating from the immigrant ancestor.

I'd love to see the same thing happen with our Lindsay/Lindsey lines.

Bill