LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1016835117

Subject: [LINDSAY] Thomas LINDSAY of Glasgow, ca 1886
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:12:44 -0500

Hi,

I am new to the list, and have been lurking quietly, reading other peoples'
messages, and would like to ask if anyone knows of this particular Scottish
LINDSAY. To my knowledge, I have no American LINDSAY cousins and only a
precious couple of Scottish cousins left of my blood family. You well may be
out there, but I haven't discovered who you are--yet!

Does anyone have a Thomas LINDSAY, b 1848 in Kincardine-on Forth,
Perthshire, Scotland, to John LINDSAY and Helen LEITCH? He would be my 2x
great-uncle, and I can find no mention of him in Scotland as an adult. he is
last listed on the 1861 census, age 12, in Tulliallan, Perth. By 1871, he is
lost to me, whether by death or emigration, I have no idea. My Scottish
researcher can find no marriage for him in Scotland.

I have only one clue as to whether or not he emigrated to "America", ca
1886, and that is found in an account of his brother's son, another John
LINDSAY, s/o Francis LINDSAY and Mary FORBES BAIRD. John was a resident of
a blind asylum in 1886, and in October of 1886,when they needed to get in
touch with his parents, my 2x ggps, they could not, because "His parents had
left for America". They did only come over for a visit, not to live. I have
found and researched my other two uncles, John and Daniel, who married
sisters, Isabella and Marjory LAING. Daniel had sons, John, apparently did
not. Daniel's sons were John, b 1870; James John, b 1871, and Daniel LEITCH,
Jr., b 1873.

My ggm, was Helen LEITCH LINDSAY, who emigrated to Philadelphia in 1887, and
her brother, David, visited her often, but always came down by way of Canada
when he came, so Thomas could even have emigrated to Canada. Neither my gm
nor her sister ever mentioned meeting an Uncle Thomas and they lived in the
Philadelphia area until their deaths.

Other names in this particular branch of LINDSAYS are BAIRD/ANDERSON,
LEITCH/THOMSON and THOMSON/DUNCANSON, and I believe Thomas would have been
named for his ggf, Thomas DUNCANSON, as his brothers were named in the usual
naming pattern for their gfs and father. Thomas was the baby. He was also
alleged to have been kidnapped by gypsies when he was about 6 years old.

I'm hoping someone out there on this list recognizes this most elusive
uncle. Perhaps someone might even recognize my other uncles, as well. I
would love to hear from you if you are connected to this set of LINDSAYS.

Lynn Prettyman
Baltimore, MD USA

This thread: