LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1016813292

From: "William Lindsey" <>
Subject: [LINDSAY] Further Thoughts on Ron's Research Project
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:08:12 -0600

Ron,

As I have thought about the research project you propose, I recall an appeal
William Thorndale made along the same lines several decades ago in the
newsletter on Southern colonial Lindsay families. You may recall that this
newsletter got started precisely to do what you propose: that is, to group
together the various lines that seem to come from various immigrants, and to
try to document the connections as closely as possible.

The approach William Thorndale suggested was for those working on each line
to document that line as carefully as possible, then to pool information.
On that basis, his hope was that the various lines might be sorted into
family groups, in some cases, pointing to the immigrant from which the group
descended. It goes without saying that careful documentation is necessary
for this project to work. But even more, the project will take willingness
to pool information.

I do think it's possible for such a project to succeed. I'm working with a
group of researchers on the Braselton/Brazelton family that originates in
Frederick Co., MD. In several years, we've been able to sort out family
lines that have been tangled for generations, and about which much
misinformation has circulated.

Bill Lindsey