LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1016653536

From: Ron Lindsay <>
Subject: [LINDSAY] Lindsay Surname DNA Testing
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 11:45:54 -0800

Greetings Katie & Lindsay List,

Your idea from Katie for the many Lindsay (how ever spelled) lineages to
band together and find a male cousin bearing the Lindsay (how ever spelled)
surname and convince him to participate in this genealogy Project is
noteworthy.

The cost, as has been managed by several other Lindsay family groups, could
be shared by one or more family members to reduce the impact on any one
person. The results could then be shared by the participant with his other
family members in hopes of learning of other Lindsay (how ever spelled)
lineages in which you possibly share a common ancestor. After
communicating with the other Project participants who matched your DNA,
hopefully a meaningful connection could be established via the traditional
genealogical means.

The DNA sample collection for the 1st round of testing (21 participants) is
almost complete. Registration for the 2nd round of testing is now underway
with additional Sign Up/Registration received from five Lindseys and one
Lindsay. We need many more participants to sign up before we can start the
collection process for the 2nd round testing.

This Project needs the participation of all serious Lindsay (how ever
spelled) genealogical researchers to help solicit qualified participants
from as many Lindsay (how ever spelled) lineages as possible. You know who
these male cousins bearing the Lindsay (how ever spelled) surname are
better than anyone. It boils down to how much time do you feel you can you
justify and how much money do you want to spend to find a family member who
will participate in this DNA Project. Most researchers that I know have
already spent many years and thousands of dollars chasing their ancestors.

The cost for participating in the Lindsay Surname DNA Project is infinitely
small in comparison to what many of us already have spent in our
genealogical quest. By agreement with the test laboratory, I cannot
publicly post the negotiated cost for our 24 Y-chromosome STR marker
test. What I can tell you is that the cost is between $150 -$200 USD and
is the lowest price for this many markers that I am currently
aware. Participants will be notified of the specific price after they
Sign-Up/Register to participate.

Once the 1st round test results have been posted, there will be a great
need for the Lindsay (how ever spelled) genealogists, associated with the
lineage of each of these participants, to study the results and offer their
genealogical connection analyses based on their individual knowledge-basis.

Genealogists are a very tenacious group of people and I believe the
Lindsays (how ever spelled) are even more so if that is possible. So I
know you can do it. Give a try to finding YOUR family participant. The
cost is small compared to what you might learn. Cheers.

Ron Lindsay
San Jose, CA