LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1016325965

From: "katie angermeyer" <>
Subject: [LINDSAY] Mexican War
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 00:46:05 +0000

HELP, Linds*y?s,

Have just read the diary of a Samuel Vance Fulkerson Kept During the Mexican
War. This is published by The Historical Society of Washington Co. VA,
Series II, No 29, 1992 and can be ordered from the form found at the web
site http://www.rootsweb.com/~vawashin/historic.htm for I think $4.50. It
makes for good reading, and speaking of Tennessee River floats, this
describes the journey via flat boat from Knoxville TN down the Tennessee to
the Ohio to the Mississippi to New Orleans and then sailing to Vera Cruz
Mexico. Very interesting reading.

I am trying to find more information on a gg grandfather David Lindsey b. ca
1813 Washington Co. VA, married Barbara Johnson in Johnson Co. TN 1845, d.
1868 Cedar Co. IA. I believe he served in the Mexican War, could have been
with Fulkerson. His father Moses Lindsey Jr. had served in the War of 1812
with Abram Fulkerson, father of Samuel Vance Fulkerson of Washington Co. VA.
I am not sure if David served with Fulkerson, but do believe he served in
some capacity, as many young Tennesseans volunteered during that war.

According to oral history in our Lindsey family, David Lindsey and two of
Barbara Johnson?s brothers went with him (much to her father?s chagrin).
There were supposedly lots of TN volunteers.

I have researched the following resources. I believe they may hold
information for others who had ancestors who may have also served in this
more obscure war in the 1840?s.

Question, is anyone interested in doing a lookup for all of us Linds*y?s
from these records, if they have easy access to them? (You could also do me
a big favor and look up any JOHNSON/JOHNSTON from TN).

The records follow (lookup any Linds*y to report to the list, and any
JOHNSON/JOHNSTON to report to me).

------------------
MEXICAN WAR, 1846-1848 (State of TN archives, Nashville, TN)

Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Soldiers Who Served During
the Mexican War. 41 reels. National Archives M616. Index is arranged
alphabetically by soldier's surname. Also includes company, unit, and rank.
[This list would be any state- KA].

Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Soldiers Who Served During the Mexican
War in Organizations from the State of Tennessee. 15 reels. National
Archives M638. Generally service records cover date and place mustered in
and enrolled, muster roll details, and muster out date. Organized by unit
and company then arranged alphabetically by soldier's surname.

See also: 1837 Tennessee Volunteers : Muster Rolls for Various Counties.
Douthat, 1993, (UA462.D68) and card file in Archives Reading Room.

PENSION INDEXES

White, Virgil (transcriber). Index to Old Wars Pension Files 1815-1926
(Waynesboro,
Tennessee: National Historical Publishing Company, 1987).

Wolfe, Barbara (transcriber). Index to Mexican War Pension Applications
(Indianapolis:
Heritage House, 1985)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

Katie in BC (nowhere?s near a good US library, and this is not yet available
on Ancestry.com or other source on-line that I can find).