LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1015443534

From: Philip Lindsey <>
Subject: Re: [LINDSAY] Blue eyes
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 13:39:40 -0600

Hello List,

I have asked onlist before about any known Linds*y connections to the group
of people who are known as Melungeons. No takers at the time but, given the
location of these interesting folks, I suspect that we will find that there are
indeed some connections to some of the Linds*y lines.
In the FWIWdepartment, these people were living in Southern Appalachia when
"the settlers" moved into the mountains. They lived in cabins, were bearded, had
square doors and windows and spoke English when the settlers addressed them. When
asked who they were, they replied "Portygee" (Portuguese?) but had surnames that
were mostly Scottish. John Sevier, Revolutionary War hero and the man for whom
Sevier County, TN is named, was one of the first to encounter them and recorded
it in his diary (which I have yet to locate).
The point of this being that the physical descriptions of these people were
recorded, at that time, by the folks who found them. The Melungeons had a number
of physical qualities by which they differed from the Native Americans among whom
they lived. The most commonly mentioned, to my recollection, is the "brilliant
blue eyes" coupled with dark hair. I once read it as "an unearthly blue". To my
way of thinking, to have the "Blue Eyes" be that noticeable to remark upon (after
encountering log cabins with brass dinner bells for assembling the community
members, halfway up the Appalachians), those must have been quite a set of
peepers!

Phil