LINDSAY-L Archives

Archiver > LINDSAY > 2002-03 > 1015414398

From: josie bass <>
Subject: [LINDSAY] Re: Abe Pennington+Lindsey's+Anderson's
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 06:33:18 -0500

From: Bill Trott <>

> From "James Stark of Stafford County Virginia and His Descendants"
>
>JOHN LINDSEY FAMILY
>John Lindsey, born before 1720, was a contemporary of Thomas2 Stark. He
>apparently lived in the part of Frederick Co VA that is now Clarke Co
>VA. He was closely associated with the Humphrey Wells, Thomas Speake and
>Pennington families in VA as well as in SC. Probably all of these
>families lived in what is now Clarke Co rather than Frederick Co. They
>lived across the Blue Ridge from Thomas Stark who was living in
>southwestern Loudoun Co VA during this time period. According to the
>"History of Clarke Co VA" by Gold, the earliest settlement in Clarke Co
>was about 1740 when John and James Lindsey settled on Long Marsh. In
>1740 Frederick Co VA was Orange Co. Orange Co Deed Bk 5,p 140, Mar 2,
>1741/42, shows a deed from Isaac Pennington of Orange Co VA to John
>Linsey of same for part of a tract patented to Isaac Pennington in 1734.
>John Lindsey appeared in many Frederick Co VA deeds from 1748 until 1777
>when in Frederick Co VA Deed Bk 17, p244, he said he was late of
>Frederick Co VA now of Berkley Co SC.
>=============================
Forgot to add my Wells line which followed this bunch also Zorobabel, was
in Talbot then Queen Ann.
Humphrey, g-grandson of Zorobabel, who married Abigal Lindsey also shows,
as married in Frederick Co and according to the Spry Genealogy was in
Hampshire Co VA in 1762 or shortly thereafter. He was in Spartanburg Co SC
in (1873 typo) and and died in Richmond Co GA ca. 1782.
I will check out all the Lindseys in the Stark books.
Bill Trott
**************************
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:05:45 EST

Please add John Gaskins,of Md and Berryville. My wife has a Bartholmew
Gaskins sons in the sw Ohio neighborhood of Edmund Lindsey [SC] and
Hezekiah Lindsey [sw Pa]. Bartholomew Anderson might [?] be a namesake.
O'DELL,pg 220 puts Isaac and Jacob Pennington,John Gaskins,of Md, John
Lindsey,
Gilbert Guilder, [Hukill] Samuel Isaacs,John Parker together
I have 4-5 of Dr Peter Craig's works. I've known him 20 years,I
guess,though not had much contact the past 10 years.
My wife also has Daugherty ties-likely with Cecil Co roots,on her
Kirkpatrick-McCalmont -Findley side.
Edmund Lindsey Jr sold to Samuel Mount [Andersson?] in 1765. page 216 O'dell
Edmund Lindsey,Sr said he moved to Va in 1733. [Does that fit with the
Stafford Co,Va resource mentioned in the Lindsey records posted earlier
today.[pg 214 O'Dell]
Osborn and Jasper Ball interest me.

This thread: