LEONARD-L Archives

Archiver > LEONARD > 2000-01 > 0947040552

From: "William Klauk" <>
Subject: [LEONARD-L] Fw: [CRV] Leonard & Heald
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 21:49:12 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Julie C. Hesson <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: [CRV] Leonard & Heald

WOW! Thank you, so much, Canney, for jumping in, to fill this void on
our "LEONARD's!" I had next to nothing on John Leonard, so you have
done us all a HUGE service--Thank You!

Julie

Canney wrote:

> Here is some Leonard information to start you out.
>
> 1. Thomas Leonard b. 23 May 1577, Pontypool, co. Monmouth, England, m.
Lydia
> White, b. abt 1590, Pontypool, co. Monmouth, England. Thomas died ___
> 1638, co. Herts, England. It is possible that Pontypool, Monmouth co. is
> also in Wales. Thomas was a dissenter who went first to Leyden, Holland
and
> then on to American. He was the son of Henry Leonard.
> Children:
> i James Leonard b. abt 1611, d. bef 1691. He was an
ironworker
> and settled in Taunton, Ma. His wife was either Mary or Margaret Martin
> ii Philip Leonard b. abt 1612, Pontypool, co. Monmouth, England,
d.
> 3 Jul 1708.
> 2. iii John b. abt 1615.
> iv Henry Leonard b. abt 1618, Pontypool, co. Monmouth, England. He
> was an ironworker and settled in Taunton, Ma. His wife was named Mary.
> v William Leonard b. abt 1622, Pontypool, co. Monmouth, England.
> vi Thomas Leonard b. abt 1624, Pontypool, co. Monmouth, England,
d.
> bet 1720-1732, Piscataway, New Jersey. He died by drowning.
> vii Margery Leonard b. abt 1626, Pontypool, co. Monmouth,
England,
> m. Henry Sampson, b. abt 1626.
> viii Joan Leonard.
> ix Sarah Leonard b. abt 1630, Pontypool, co. Monmouth, England,
d.
> abt 1720, New Salem, New Jersey.
>
> Second Generation
>
> 2. John Leonard b. abt 1615, Pontypool, co. Monmouth, England, m. 12
Oct
> 1640, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Sarah Heald, b. abt 1623,
> Berwick, co. Wilts, England, d. 23 Nov 1711, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA.
> John died 20 Mar 1676, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, will: 28 May 1676,
> Springfield, Hampden Co., MA.
> If he is related to James Leonard of Taunton, MA, nothing has been
found
> to indicate it. He was probably living in Springfield by 1638, for on 13
> January 1638/9 he proffered £2 towards the building of a house for the
> minister, Mr. Moxon, this comparing with £21 contributed by Mr. Pynchon,
the
> wealthiest settler. He was chosen surveyor 26 March 1640, to see that the
> highways were cleared and kept in repair. At the end of that year, action
> was taken against him, along with Henry Gregory and Robert Ashley, for
> disposing of their canoes outside the plantation, contrary to order. He
was
> one of the twon appraisers 28 March 1645, for the purpose of a tax for Mr.
> Moxon's maintenance [salary]. He received several allotments of land,
from
> 1640 on, of average amount, and 10 January 1658/9 was granted 40 acres on
> the highland "adjoyning to Tho Miricks meddow over Agawan."
> In the Meeting house seating of 23 December 1659, John Leonard
occupied
> the third seat, with Thomas Stebbins, Miles Morgan, and three others. In
> 1663 he was still assigned the third seat, but his name appears again "On
ye
> South side below ye Pillars." This last is doubtless a mistake for his
son
> Joseph, then eighteen, for Thomas Cooper, Jr., and other young men were
> placed there.
> He was chosen presenter in 1655, an office which required him to take
> oath. He was one of the overseers of workers on the highways, 1667, and a
> viewer of fences in the "Chickuppe" section, 1668, and viewer for the
field
> on the west side of the River, 1674. He was fined for his inability to
make
> "sufficient excuses" for failure to attend a town meeting on 11 April
1665,
> but absented himself again a few months later and was again fined
sixpence.
> Inventory of his estate was taken 28 March 1676. Administration was
> granted to Sarah, relict of the said John Leonard, and to the son Joseph.
> John Leonard was killed by indians at Springfield, MA early in 1676.
Sarah:
> Inventory of the estate of John Leonard of Springfield was taken 28
> March 1676. Administration was granted to Sarah, relict of the said John
> Leonard, and to the son Joseph. On 10 January 1676/7, "Whereas ye widow
> Sarah Leonard of Springfield presented by her son Joseph Leonard of
> Springfield a paper to this Court wherein was drawn up some articles of
> Agreement betwixt her and her children and with ye aprobation of those
> persons appointed by the Court for yt work...which is as followeth, fiz:
ye
> widdow Leonard to hold and injoy ye Orchard dureing her life & also the
> thirds of ye lands left by her dec'd husband, Joseph Leonard to have and
> possess ye land in ye upper meddow & three acres of ye other meddow and
> eight acres of ye homelott and Benjamin, Abell and Josiah to make an equal
> division of ye Rest of ye land lying in ye meddow amongst ym the Rest of
ye
> estate to ye widdows with this Proviso, ye Court confirmed ye abovesd ye
> widow paying to her three daughters unmarried fifteen pounds apiece and
> Benjamin, Abell and Josiah paying out of their shares four pounds apiece
> their four sisters yt are married which will be three pounds apiec to
them."
> Children:
> i John Leonard b. 25 Aug 1641, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, d. 22
> Jun 1648, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA.
> ii Joseph Leonard b. 20 Mar 1644, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m.
> (1) 24 Mar 1671, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Mary Fellows, bapt: 9
Feb
> 1650, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, d. 29 Jan 1680, Springfield, Hampden
> Co., MA, m. (2) 29 Mar 1683, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Elizabeth
> Lyman, b. 6 Nov 1655, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, (daughter of John
Lyman
> and Dorcas Plumbe) d. 6 Jul 1689, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m. 16
Jan
> 1690, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Ann Ford, b. abt 1657,
(daughter
> of Thomas Ford and Ann Sanford) d. 6 Jan 1691, Springfield, Hampden Co.,
MA,
> m. (4) 2 Mar 1692/3, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Rebecca Dumbleton,
b.
> 4 Oct 1667, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA,(3) d. 16 Feb 1693/4,
Springfield,
> Hampden Co., MA, m. (5) ___ 1695, Margaret (_?_) Leonard, d. 1 Dec 1711,
> Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m. (6) by 1714, Sarah Kilbourn. Joseph
> died 9 Aug 1716, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA. His first wife was the
dau.
> of Richard Fellows. His second wife was the dau. of Lt. John Lyman and
his
> third wife was probably the widow Ann Newberry, maiden surname Ford. His
> fourth wife was the dau. of John Dumbleton. His sixth wife Sarah,
outlived
> him. Sarah: She was the daugher of Sergt. John and Sarah (Bronson)
Kilbourn
> and the widow of Joseph Crane. She married third, Benjamin Andrews of
> Farmington, CT.
> iii Sarah Leonard b. 13 Oct 1645, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m.
31
8
> Jun 1670, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Benjamin Waite, d. 29 Feb
> 1703/4, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA. Martha died 14 Mar 1703/4,
> Deerfield, Franklin Co., MA. She and her 3 daughters Martha, Mary and
Sarah
> were carried captive to Canada where her dau. Canada was born. Later they
> were returned to the colony. Benjamin: He was slain at Deerfield, MA.
> vii Lydia Leonard b. 20 Oct 1650, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m.
> (1) 18 Mar 1674/5, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, John Dumbleton, b. 2
> Jan 1650, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, d. 27 Oct 1675, Westfield,
Hampden
> Co., MA, m. (2) 2 Oct 1678, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Joseph
> Bedortha, b. 15 Mar 1648/9, d. ___ 1707, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA.
> Lydia died 18 Mar 1682/3, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA. Her husband was
> slain by Indians and she drowned while crossing the Connecticut River.
Her
> second husband was the son of Reese and Blanche Bedortha. John: He was
> killed by Indians at Westfield, MA.
> viii John Leonard b. 10 Sep 1652, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, d.
13
> Mar 1662/3, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA.
> 4. ix Benjamin b. 5 Sep 1654.
> x Abel Leonard b. 22 Jul 1656, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m. 4
Mar
> 1686/7, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Mary Remington, b. 14 Jul 1666,
> Rowley, Essex Co., MA, d. 27 Dec 1747, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA.
Abel
> died 10 Mar 1689/90, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA. Mary: She was the
> daughter of Thomas and Mehitable (Walker) Remington.
> xi Josiah Leonard b. 28 Mar 1658, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m.
19
> Dec 1678, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Sarah Dumbleton, b. 5 Jan
> 1654/5, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, d. 3 Jan 1693/4, Westfield, Hampden
> Co., MA.3 Josiah died 15 Feb 1688/89, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA. He
> was in the Falls Fight. Sarah: She was the daughter of John and Mercy
> Dumbleton.
> xii Hannah Leonard b. 19 Feb 1659, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA,(3)
> m. 24 Apr 1676, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Daniel Denton. Hannah
> died bef 1718, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA.
> xiii Rebecca Leonard b. 26 May 1661, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA,
m.
> (1) 1 Dec 1681, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Thomas Miller, b. 1 Apr
> 1653, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, (son of Thomas Miller and Sarah
> Marshfield) d. 5 Mar 1689/90, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m. (2) 30 Dec
> 1691, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA,9 Samuel Billings, b. 8 Jun 1665,
> Hadley, Hampshire Co., MA.
> xiv Deborah Leonard b. 1 Oct 1663, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m.
> Gabriel Luff. Deborah died liv 1718. Her husband, Gabriel Luff, was
> from Jamaica, LI.
> xv Rachel Leonard b. 6 Nov 1665, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, m.
17
> Mar 1684/5, in Springfield, Hampden Co., MA, Thomas Hancock, b. abt
> 1645, d. 11 Jul 1734, Farmington, Hartford Co., CT. Rachel died aft
> 1698, Springfield, Hampden Co., MA.
>
> Sources:
> New England Historical and Genealogical Register Vol. 5
> Hartford Times Aug-1944 - July 1948
> The American Genealogist Vol. 10
> Leonard Family by Ella Mae Lewis
> Springfield Families by Thomas B. Warren
> Hale, House & Related Families by Donald Lines Jacobus & Edgar Francis
> Waterman
> Second Torrey Supplement by Melinde Lutz Sanborn

> http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl ...type in Ct-River
Valley ..and when the query pages comes up, put in the name of town and
state)
> http://archiver.rootsweb.com/CT-RIVER-VALLEY-L/
> http://www.quadrangle.org (genealogical lib for Conn River area)

http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl ...type in Ct-River
Valley ..and when the query pages comes up, put in the name of town and
state)
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/CT-RIVER-VALLEY-L/
http://www.quadrangle.org (genealogical lib for Conn River area)

Free Web space. ANY amount. ANY subject.
RootsWeb's Freepages put you in touch with millions.
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/acctform.cg

This thread: