LA-CENSUS-LOOKUP-L Archives

Archiver > LA-CENSUS-LOOKUP > 2010-04 > 1271249549

From: "Vincent E. Summers" <>
Subject: Re: [LA-CENSUS-LOOKUP] 1850 Census Request: William MOULT and Family
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:08:27 -0400

This is where it becomes more interesting as of this morning!

It is believed William married an Elizabeth ORME in 1831 in England. I'm
not 100% on that, but it is possible. His father declared intent in
Philadelphia in 1823, so...

However, he definitely married -later, but who exactly knows when- Mary C.
L. STOCKHAM. She was a Philadelphia resident who may have been born in
Bucks County, PA or Maryland. In 1870 (second enumeration, not the first),
William is listed in Mary's brother's household, namely George STOCKHAM,
listed as brother-in-law. Mary had died in October of 1869.

I don't see him in the 1860. He was born circa 1805 in England. However,
as you are likely aware, enumerators sometimes got lazy and just checked the
local state button -- or they weren't too careful and sometimes wrote in the
wrong information.

It is written in Louisiana newspapers (I have the clips) that he retired
from working at a particular firm in 1854, to work in his own name. Now
since his wife Mary died in 1869, he had to have been in Philadelphia to
meet her. The family was there the whole time, and I'm confident Mary
didn't come to New Orleans beforehand on her own.

When did William come to New Orleans? I don't know. When did he leave?
Certainly a year or more before 1870.

Did he have children - one. William Henry MOULT born 1835.

Vince