LA-CENSUS-LOOKUP-L Archives

Archiver > LA-CENSUS-LOOKUP > 2007-09 > 1190514127

From: "Craig Borne" <>
Subject: Re: [LA-CENSUS-LOOKUP] [MS-CENSUS-LOOKUP] 1900/Amite,MS/POWELL
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 22:22:07 -0400

Thank you Frannie.
Craig

Craig Borne
Baltimore, Maryland

[mailto:] On Behalf Of Frannie
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 1:29 PM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Borne" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 11:12 AM

> Hi Frannie,
> Can you find a listing for John and Nan Powell in the 1930 Amite County
> census? This is a child that I had not identified previously, and I am
> wondering if they ever had any children.
> Thank you,
> Craig

Yep, found 'em! Their enumerator needed a penmanship course! I guess I
shouldn't talk...my g grandfather enumerated the 1900 Faulkner Co, AR
Census...pretty hard to read...and he got the number of his OWN kids wrong!
I was searching for an extra kid! grrrrr. LOL

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Beat 1, Amite, Mississippi; Roll:

1138; Page: 9A; Enumeration District: 3; Image: 89.0.

1930 United States Federal Census
about John Powell
Name: John Powell
Home in 1930: Beat 1, Amite, Mississippi
Age: 50
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Birthplace: Mississippi
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name Nan
Race: White
Occupation: Farmer/General Farm

Household Members: Name Age
John Powell 50
Nan Powell 44
Caroline Powell 7
John Powell 2

It looks like they were married about 1911.Both Nan's parents were born in
Mississippi.

I'll keep this info, and the next time I'm in Jackson, MS going through the

archives for my own familly, I'll see if I can't find something on yours as
well. I hate brick walls...but I love busting through them...even if they
aren't my own!

Frannie