KYGARRAR-L Archives

Archiver > KYGARRAR > 2011-06 > 1308784213

From: DAVID BROWN <>
Subject: [KYGARRAR] Jacob Dooley m. Nancy Potts June 7, 1830 in Garrard Co.,KY
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:10:13 -0700 (PDT)

My 5g grandfather Jacob Dooley (c.1755-1842) was born in Virginia, but lived most of his adult life in Madison Co., KY.  He was married twice:  First to Elizabeth “Betty” Bush on April 30, 1778 in Bedford Co., VA (David Wright was Surety and Consent was given by Martha Bush, mother of Betty) and then second to Nancy Potts on June 7, 1830 in Garrard Co., KY (Witnesses were William Parker & Warren Parker).   I descend from the first marriage, but would like to learn more about the second spouse Nancy Potts who mentioned Sally White, "a niece" and John K. Sutton, “grandson of her sister,” in her will of 1862.

Nancy Potts Dooley was living in the household of Benjamin & Frances Sutton in the 1860 Garrard Co., KY census.   I think this Frances Sutton may have had maiden name of White and could possibly be a sister to Sally White who was mentioned in Nancy Potts Dooley’s will.   Additionally, Benjamin & Frances Sutton have a son named John K. Sutton, born 1855, who should be the same person mentioned in Nancy Potts Dooley’s will as "grandson of her sister."

In the 1850 census, there appears to be a family of siblings including Sally White (born 1817), George White (given as head of household and born 1822), Elizabeth White (born 1830) and Will White (born 1831).   I cannot be sure, but would think Sally White in this household could very well be the person named in Nancy Dooley’s will of 1862.   It was mentioned recently on the Garrard List that Sally Herring Bourne married George White in 1851; I’m fairly sure the George White who married Sally Herring Bourne is from this particular White household on the 1850 census (including his sister Sally) as they were neighbors to Francis Bourne.

I think we can conclude (and if I’m off track here, please let me know) that Sally White mentioned in the Nancy Potts Dooley will was a sister of Frances White who married Benjamin Sutton as well as a sister to George White who married Sally Herring Bourne.   It looks like Sally White, George White, and Frances White had a mother who was the sister of Nancy Potts Dooley.

Now to my questions:

·         Does anyone know the identity of the parents of George White who married Sally Herring Bourne and Frances White who married Benjamin Sutton?   I’m particularly interested in who their mother may have been.   Any ideas?   I'm not sure if Nancy Potts Dooley had maiden name of Potts or if she was already a widow when she married Jacob Dooley.  I don't have a full abstract of her will, but it seems she had no children of her own so Potts may be her maiden name.

·         Does anyone know why William and Warren Parker were witnesses to the marriage of Jacob Dooley and Nancy Potts in 1830?   It has been speculated that Warren Parker was son of Wyatt Parker (c.1755-1837) who married Nancy Wright in York (?) Co., VA and died in 1837 in Madison CO., KY.    Does anyone have information on this William & Warren Parker???   I am curious if they may be related to my ancestor Barnett Parker who married Coatney/Courtney Christopher in Madison Co., KY in 1831.   Barnett Parker & Coatney/Courtney Christopher had children named Francis Jackson Parker, Cassandra Parker, Christopher Parker,  Samuel Parker, James Parker, and Ann Parker.   I descend from Francis Jackson Parker who married Dorcas Ann Freeman, great-granddaughter (Susan Eades, Dorcas Freeman, Jacob Dooley) of Jacob Dooley by his first marriage to Elizabeth “Betty” Bush.   I’ve never been able to identify the parents of Barnett
Parker, but am intrigued by the presence of William & Warren Parker for the Jacob Dooley/Nancy Potts marriage.

Thanks so much!

David

P.S. Although not in my direct line, the Christophers also may have a collateral relationship to the Bourne family.