KNOX-L Archives

Archiver > KNOX > 2005-03 > 1109895928

Subject: John Knox of Rowan co, NC
Date: 3 Mar 2005 17:25:28 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/ANn.2ACEB/678.685.706.713.716.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

I am also working on this line. I have John Knox and his wife Jean Gracey as the parents of William Knox (b. 1736 and married Margaret Charlotte Allen. They were the parents of John Knox who married Esther Luckey.... The death date I have for Jean Gracey is 1772 which allows her to be the mother of William. Here is some more info you might find interesting:
KNOX FAMILY TREE DIAGRAM, 1914
University of North Carolina at Charlotte MANUSCRIPT COLLECTION 262

Family tree (copy) drawn in the shape of a tree by Katie S. Goodman of Woodleaf, N.C. in June, 1914. Inscription in lower right section of diagram: "John Knox, the trunk of the Tree, was born in Scotland in 1708. Went from there to Ireland, with other Scotch (sic) immigrants by invitation of the King of England, to constitute a balance of power against the insurgent Irish Catholics. He married an Irish Presbyterian wife, Miss Jean Gracy. Emigrated to America in company with Patrick Gracy, his Bro. in law, & others, about 1740. He was one of the early settlers of Rowan Co., N.C. Bought land, 600 acres, on the south side of Third Creek, for 37 £ 10 S which land had been granted by Earl Granville to James Stuart. He raised a family of seven sons & one daughter, as shown by the drawing. His sons & several grandsons served in the Revolutionary War. He died in 1758, aged 50 years. He and wife were both buried in Thyatira Church cemetery, in Rowan Co., N.C."

Rowan County Cemeteries
John Knox and Jean Gracy Knox, died 1758 and 1772. Memorial stone at Thyatira Presbyterian Church, Milldredge, Rowan, NC tells that seven of their sons were soldiers in the American Revolution, and that they were great-grandparents of James Knox Polk, President of the United States.

This thread: