KEHL-L Archives

Archiver > KEHL > 2010-09 > 1285098386

From: ,
Subject: Re: [KEHL] name meaning?
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:46:26 -0000

Author: bergiverson
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.kehl/93.2.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

There is also the English word Kale ( cabbage )which sounds familiar with the pronunciation for Kehl.Its possible they
saw this word when they learned English and thought that was where their family name came from?
I have also seen the name spelled Khl and Keil in Hungary.My wifes family lived in Hungary and Yugoslavia for 200 years. They pronounced the name in Hessen dialect as Kell.I have never been able to find the origins of their Kehl family,but some people say they came from Baden-Wurttemburg area.

Important Note: