KEHL-L Archives

Archiver > KEHL > 2010-09 > 1285041258

From: ,
Subject: Re: [KEHL] name meaning?
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 03:54:18 -0000

Author: DOviatt2076
Surnames: Kehl
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.kehl/93.2.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I have to agree with the Prussia not Russia comment. My Kehls come from what was Prussia, specifically Pomerania (Pommern), from a city that was then called Stettin. This area is now western Poland and the city name is something like Sceczin.

Anyway I've done some research on Kehl and speak some German. The poster above is correct that the German word for throat is Kehl (pronounced like kale) cabbage is Kohl (pronounced like coal) as in coleslaw. The two options for meaning I've seen over the years are either a valley (that is throat like I guess) or that it refers to someone who had something distinctive about his throat (a low voice, goiter, etc.).
By the way, despite the correct German pronounciation, my family pronounces it keel,like on a boat. Why I'm not sure, although I suspect my great grandfather got tired of telling people how to pronounce it.

Important Note: