KANSAS-L Archives

Archiver > KANSAS > 2010-01 > 1262813292

From: "Athena, Goddess of War" <>
Subject: [KANSAS] Mortuary afflitiated w/Mont. County
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:28:12 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone know who/what mortuary was affiliated with Harrisonville Cemetery from 1890 - about 1945/50?

Both of my great grandparents (Harvey K. and Lyda (KELLY) JAMES) are buried there, side-by-side, along with many other family members (even my GORDON family).  They lived in Wayside for all of their married life.

When I visited the cemetery in 2000, I found my family's graves but was unable to find the graves of their two sons, born approximately 1888 - 1892; possibly twins, died at birth or shortly after.  I have a copy of Cemetery Inscriptions (pages) for Harrisonville Cemetary (from "The Descender")  published 1981, but the boys are not listed.

Joseph Kelly JAMES, b. abt. or after 1888; d. before 1894  (not on KS 1895 state census)
Parker Lee JAMES, b. abt. or after 1888; d. before 1894 (also not on KS 1895 state census)

IF they had baby stones in the cemetery, they had sunk into the ground.

Without knowing date of death, I am unable to get a death certificate from Montgomery County or the state of Kansas.

IF the mortuary is still in operation, likely under new name/ownership, I'm hoping they may have archived records of funerals/burials during that time period.  When I visited Kansas, my cousin and I went to the Montgomery County Library looking for news articles - birth, death, etc., without any luck - so now I am looking for burial records archived in some mortuary files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Julia (Gordon) Conkey
Athol, ID

This thread: