JOPLING-L Archives

Archiver > JOPLING > 2009-03 > 1237818989

From: "Caroline Jopling" <>
Subject: Re: [JOPLING] Joplings in Virginia
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:36:29 -0400

I think Wills will help as proof:

WILL OF JOSIAH JOPLING (1747-1798), the son of THOMAS (b. 1708) and HANNAH
(FREEMAN)JOPLING:

JOSIAH JOPLING WILL of 1798, AMHERST CO. WILL BK.
NO. 3, 1786-1800 (Reel 18):
p. 463-464. Will pro. 16 Apr. 1798.
p. 535-537. Inv. & Appr. rec. 17 Dec. 1798.
Note: Part of index to Amherst Co. Wills and
Administrations (1761-1800)

Place: Amherst Co., VA
Form: Wills. aat.
Collection: Virginia Wills and Administrations.
--------------------------
JOSIAH JOPLING WILL/ Estate Report- from Jopling Webpage by Carol Clapshaw:

Nelson County Will Book B, p. 89 ff: A long report on the estate of Josiah
Jopling; begins before Nelson was formed and the first date is 21 December
1798, but the final report was not recorded until 24 January 1820. Nelson
County was formed 1807>

James and William are first Jopling to appear and they brought various
thing. Thomas Jopling got slaves in 1801; Jesse got slaves in 1799 and so
did James.

A reciept was issued to Benjamin Childress on account of Martha Bridgewater.
Susanna Jopling is mentioned and a balance on bond of James and William
Jopling. A wool hat for Holeman Joplin c st 8 shillings. Edward W. Jopling
got money for making six pairs of shoes in November 1799. In October cash
was paid out for leather breeches for Edward, Holeman, Thomas, and Bennett.
May of 1800 money was expended for "Paleing the grave yard at the church".
Saddles were bought and bridles for Holeman and Thomas Jopling. Edward W.
Jopling makes more shoes - ten pairs in all. William Jopling gets money for
sole leather. Mention is made of the estate of Thomas Jopling, deceased, and
money for a colt for Thomas Jopling, Jr. Eighty pounds each advanced for
legacies to Edward W.; William; Holeman; Thomas; Bennett; Sarah Jopling - 50
pounds. Ralph Bowman is paid for boarding H.Jopling. James and Thomas
Jopling were paid for cleaning and moving wheat in 1803. Thomas and Bennett
got land for four years in 1807.
Elizabeth B. Jopling got a legacy and so did Samuel Bridgewater and the
other heirs mentioned above.

There are two different sets of signatures in two different places: Edward
W.; Holeman; Bennett; Thomas; Samuel Bridgwater; James Jopling, and William
Jopling.

The final committee report is signed and recorded on 24 Jan 1820, by Samuel
Bridgwater; Thomas Jopling; David Turnham; Edward W. Jopling; Holeman
Jophng; and Bennett Jopling.

----------------------------- End of Will
==========
JOSIAH JOPLING: s/o THOMAS AND HANNAH
(FREEMAN) JOPLING, b. Abt. 1747, in Amherst Co., VA; m. December 01, 1767,
in Amherst Co., VA, to Elizabeth WARE (b. 1749) - 1 child; m (2nd?) to
Susannah WARE - 9 children; Josiah d. in Amherst Co., VA, in 1798; WILL
written on Nov. 16, 1797 and probated in Amherst Co., VA, Apr. 16, 1798
(AMHERST CO., VA WILL BOOK NO. 3, (Reel 18), and Nelson Co., VA, Dec. 21,
1798 to Jan. 24, 1820 (NELSON CO., VA WILL BK B, p. 89)

1 CHILD OF JOSIAH AND ELIZABETH (WARE) JOPLING:
1) HANNAH (m. 1789, in Amherst Co., VA, to Samuel BRIDGEWATER); and

9 CHILDREN OF JOSIAH AND SUSANNAH (WARE) JOPLING:
1) HOLMAN (Possibly married 1) MARY BRIDGEWATER (in 1831), and to REBECCA
NORWELL (Norville) in 1843).
2) SARAH
3) BENNETT
4) EDWARD WARE
5) SUSANNAH
6) WILLIAM (1775-1855) m. 1805, in Amherst Co.,
to Sarah "Sally" Ware;
7) JESSE
8) THOMAS (1782-1848) m. Mary Williamson; m2 Aft. 1815 to Charlotte Powell;
and
* 9) JAMES WARE JOPLING, SR. (b. 1769; m1 1793 to Nancy Martin (1774-1827) &
m2 to
Sarah Rice, in Bedford Co., VA; d. 1852.

* I'm not sure, but think James Ware is son of Josiah & Susannah Ware, but
he could be son of Elizabeth Ware.

This info on Josiah's children might not all be correct, but it's what I
have up from research to now -
========
Re: EDWARD WARE JOPLING:
EDWARD WARE JOPLING: s/o Josiah and Susannah (Ware) Jopling; m. in Amherst
Co., VA, on Nov. 19, 1805, to CLARY COX - 1 child, Mary Jane Jopling (b. 15
Sept 1813, in Clay Co., IL) .
This is from other researchers and I don't know much more about him.
It appears that Edward Bennett Jopling (b. 1832, in KY) is born out of
wedlock, a son of Mary Jane Jopling and unknown father. She would have only
been 16 or 17. However, IF Edward Bennett was born in KY, I wonder if there
might be something in the Kentucky records about Mary Jane and him. Strange
that he was born in KY, when she was born and died in Illinois, and her
family appears to stay in Clay Co., Illinois.

It IS very complex with all the people with the same names! There is much
more research to do on all of them.

Peg Peggy Green < > Subject: [JOPLIN-L] Pt. 2 - WILL OF
JOSIAH JOPLING (1747-1798) s/o Thomas (b. 1708)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:36:29 -0500

Josiah Jopling
[...]
http://members.tripod.com/~kaddabuddha/jojwill.html

2 Wives - Elizabeth Ware dtr of Edward Ware d. 1786; then married Susannah
Ware @1790 "she was probably the relative of his first wife." After
Josiah's death Susannah moved to Lincoln County, KY and married Oct 17, 1801
Robert Elliot.

children: Hannah, James, William, Edward Ware, Holman, Thomas, Bennety,
Elizabeth (m Bridgewater? called Elizabeth Bridgewater Jopling in father's
will) and Sarah

Spouse:Elizabeth (Susannah) WARE
Birth:1750, or January, 1749
Death:1786, about
Father:Edward WARE (1710-1786)
Mother:Lettice (Lettis) (Letitia) POWELL (-1779)
Marr:1 Dec 1767, Amherst Co, VA

Children:James Ware (Wood?) (1769-1852)
William (1775-1855)
Edward Ware (1778-)
THOMAS J. (1782-1848)
Hannah (1767-)
Holman (1780-1855)
Bennett
Elizabeth
Sarah (1792-1854)

Other Spouses Susannah WARE

Hannah:

1.1.1.2a.5a Hannah JOPLING*
Birth:1767

Spouse:Richard WOOD
Marr:5 Jan 1785, Amherst Co, VA

Other Spouses Samuel BRIDGEWATER

Will of Hannah Jopling Wood Bridgewater 1838

will reads as follows:
in the name of GOD AMEN.I HANNAH BRIDGEWATER of nelson county,beinf of sound
mind and memory do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner
and form following.

first,MY will and desire is that all my past debts be paid as speedily after
my death as the condition of my estate will justify.

Second,WHEREAS SAMUEL BRIDGWATER MY LAST HUSBAND provided liberally for my
two first children,john j.wood,and elizabeth wood,who intermarried with
EDWARD PAGE,i do there fore give and bequeath to my daughter POLLY W.ROBERTS
and her heirs forever,all of mt estate both real and personal including of
all monies or property real or personal,which is now due or may hereafter
become due me from the estate of THOMAS JOPLING deceased or JESSE JOPLING
deceased.

lastly,i appoint my daughter POLLY W.ROBERTS AND MY FREIND JOHN MASSIE
MARTIN and HASSOE B.SCOTT EXECUTERIX AND EXECUTORS of this my last will and
testament hereby revoking all other and former wills by me heretofore
made.in witness or testimony whereof,i here unto set my hand and affixed my
seal,this the first day of april eighteen hundred and thirty seven.
signed HANNAH BRIDGWATER
WITNESS

WILL JOPLING
WILLIAM FITZPATRICK
BECKENRIDGE FITZPATRICK
BINGAP BINGASS

I HANNAH BRIDGWATER OF THE COUNTY OF NELSON,DO HEREBY REVOKE THAT PART OF
THE WITHIN WILL WHICH APPOINTS HASSOE B.SCOTT ONE OF MY EXECTORS AND DO
APPOINT NICHOLAS S.MARTIN TOGETHER WITH THE OTHER TWO WITHIN NAMED
EXECUTORS.GIVEN FROM UNDER MY HAND AND SEAL THIS THE 16TH DAY OF AUGUST 1838
HANNAH BRIDGWATER
WITNESS
WILL JOPLING
DAVID H.WITT
BINGAP WITT

From: " " < > Subject: Re:
[JOPLING] Joplings in Virginia Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 06:32:52 -0000

1.1.1.2a.5b Hannah JOPLING* (See above)

Spouse:Samuel BRIDGEWATER
Birth:29 Oct 1750, Henrico Co., VA
Death:13 Jul 1810
Father:Jonathan BRIDGEWATER (1724-1805)
Mother:Mary CLARK (1729-1793)
Marr:24 Apr 1789, Amherst Co, VA

Other Spouses Richard WOOD

Caroline Ann Jopling (same line as William Ware Jopling)