JAGGER-L Archives

Archiver > JAGGER > 2000-07 > 0964037495

From: <>
Subject: [JAGGER] Free Databases
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 16:11:35 EDT

Hello,

As some of you may know, Rootsweb and Ancestry.com have recently merged.
While Rootsweb will continue to function separately by providing us with all
the services, research sources, and over 21,000 genealogical mailing lists
just as it has in the past, the merger has provided Rootsweb listmembers with
a few 'perks' from Ancestry.com.

Starting today and lasting until the end of July, Ancestry.com is opening up
all of their databases to us for free access. They have routinely allowed
free access to all new resources for the first 10 days, and I occasionally
pass that information along to you if it pertains to something of particular
interest. However, until July 31st, ALL of their databases can be searched
for free.

Please don't misinterpret this as a recommendation beyond the free offer, as
I only wish to pass along to you the ability to search records which are
normally open to members only. The signup is very simple...I did it, and
took all morning just to get through the databases beginning with the letter
'A', as the list of records is quite extensive. Browsing further, I found an
actual photocopy of my g-g-grandfather's Civil War pension application.

They also have a free daily newsletter with genealogical articles, lists of
the new 'free for the first 10 days' databases and maps, and research tips
from readers. Many of the little things I post to the list have come from
this newsletter.

The URL for the free offer is:
http://www.ancestry.com/subscribe/freepromo.asp?sourcecode=A11AF

I deliberated whether or not to forward this offer on to you, but then
decided that you could do a great deal of free research in the next couple of
weeks! I hope each of you will check through what is available, and wish you
good luck in your research. Be sure to let us know any new discoveries!

Thanks,
LaRae
JAGGER listmgr.

Their notice in today's newsletter.....
FREE ACCESS TO ANCESTRY.COM SUBSCRIBER DATABASES
Ancestry.com is offering free access to all of its databases through July 31,
2000.

Ancestry.com databases currently reference more than 600 million names in
over 2,500 databases, and our goal is to have over 1 billion names online by
2001.

Ancestry has been adding databases at a record-breaking pace, and the
genealogical community has been thrilled to see the recent postings of such
landmark databases as the Biography and Genealogical Master Index (BGMI) and
the 1890 Census Reconstruction Project. These are in addition to quality
collections like the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI), AIS Census Indexes, the
Civil War Research Database, Slave Narratives, and the American
Genealogical-Biographical Index, to name a few.

Recent database additions include:
--- Civil War Pension Images Online
--- New York Naturalization Petition Index, 1907-24
--- Gene Pool Individual Records (20 million names in 5 million records!)
--- Canadian Immigrant Records

And there is much more to come! The list of upcoming additions to the 1890
Census Reconstruction Project alone is staggering! (The list is online at:
http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/census/1890sub/upcoming.htm.)
The upcoming New England database "The Great Migration Begins" will be sure
to thrill those with roots in old New England, and Ancestry.com Images Online
will bring quality images of original records into your own home!

Sign up for free access today at:
http://www.ancestry.com/subscribe/freepromo.asp?sourcecode=A11AF