JACOBUS-L ArchivesArchiver > JACOBUS > 2000-03 > 0952481130
From: Paul Jacobus <>
Subject: Donald Lines Jacobus
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:05:30 -0600
During my genealogy research, I always wondered if I connected
with the "Dean of American Genealogists", Donald Lines Jacobus.
He was editor and publisher of The American Genealogist magazine
from 1932-1965, and while a very prolific writer, his own articles
rarely dealt with families from which he personally decended.
I was, therefore, elated to finally find his Jacobus linage in
the Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy - Volume 3.
8) Roelof Jacobus, from Holland; settled on mountain south of
Singac (then called Paper Burg), Essex Co. NJ, ca.1690
7) Johannis Jacobus (b 1711), m Sarah --
6) Roelof Jacobus (b ca. 1745), m Fransyntje --
5) Johannis Jacobus (bap. 1776), m Antje Doremus
4) John I. Jacobus (1801-1880), m Mary Aber (1800-1873)
3) Henry Oliver Jacobus (1832-1909), m Harriet Amanda Aber (1834-1915)
2) John Ira Jacobus (1855-1912), banker,
m 1880 Ida Wilmot Lines (1855-1952)
1) Donald Lines Jacobus, b New Haven, Conn, Oct 3, 1887
not married, B.A., Yale 1908, M.A. 1911
Finiancial sec., New Haven Bldg & Loan Assn. 1912-1917
sec., Conn. State Leage of Bldg & Loan Assns. 1913-1914
Genealogist and author.
Served as pvt., Ordance Dept, U.S.A., May 23, 1918 -
Oct. 4, 1919; with A.E.F. from July 31, 1918,
Mem. council Institute Am. Genealogy, etc.
Residence: 554 Central Av. New Haven, Conn.
Donald Lines Jacobus died 07-Oct-1970 in New Haven, Connecticut.
-Paul Jacobus (no relation - that I can find ...yet!)