IRL-MAYO-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-MAYO > 2007-01 > 1168195571

From: "Susan Daily" <>
Subject: Re: [IRL-MAYO] FW: NEW SUBSCRIBER
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 12:46:11 -0600

Pat,

Depending on whether you want to spend the money and wait the time to
find out more, this web site shows you the baptisms of several James
and Ann Higgins for the correct time period:
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/csi/csi.cfm?CountyID=10
Sadly, it didn't show a marriage record for a James Higgins (the father).

Where was Charles Malone born? Can you try to locate their marriage
record in England to confirm who her father was?

This web site allows you to search the 1901 census for County Mayo
(among other counties):
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/1901census/census.shtml
There are quite a few James Higgins. You might study the names and see
if there are patterns that match the names of Ann's children and
James' children.

The next earlier records online date from about 1855, and are from the
Griffiths Original Valuation:
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
If Ann was born in 1865 and James in 1875 (give or take a few years
each) - then James the father was probably born about 1835 (use this
date with a grain of salt), and would not have likely been a land
occupier listed as head of household in Griffiths. But I could easily
be wrong, so don't discount it as you continue your research.

I suggest that you try to research and find the descendants of Ann
Malone - perhaps one of them has inherited old letters back to Ireland
(or something!) that would show the name of the townland she came
from. Also continue your research into the descendants of your James
for the same reason. And perhaps try to locate Ann's death record - a
million in one chance it will show where she was born. I assume you
already have James'.

Hope some of these ideas help.
Susan Daily

On 1/7/07, Patricia Berry <> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have recently joined the list and I am looking for information on my
> grandfather JAMES HIGGINS who I think was born somewhere in Co Mayo Ireland
> around 1875.
>
> I found him on the 1901 UK Census (aged 26) living at the Shamrock Tavern 14
> Tea Street Prescot Lancashire England living with other people including
> Mary Ellen Comer (nee Donnelly) a widow also from Ireland and her 2 children
> Margaret Comer born 1899 and William Comer born 1900 and also Mary Ellen's
> sister FANNY DONNELLY from Ireland born 1880. In 1902 JAMES HIGGINS married
> MARY ELLEN COMER (nee DONNELLY) and they became my grandparents. Mary Ellen
> was born in Waterford I think around 1877.
>
> After marrying they lived in Rankin Street Toxteth with 2 COMER children and
> had 6 more children, John born 1904, Frances born 1905, Patrick (my father
> born 1908), Jeffrey born 1910, Mary Ann born 1913 & Michael born 1916.
> Sometime before 1923 they moved to 30 Hornby Street Liverpool England where
> Margaret Comer died in 1923 and Mary Ellen Higgins died in 1925. JAMES
> HIGGINS died there in 1928.
>
> I found a JAMES HIGGINS aged 16 from Co Mayo Ireland on the 1891 UK Census
> living with Charles W Malone and Ann Malone (nee Higgins born 1865 of Co
> Mayo Ireland) and their family at Church Lane Haslingden. This looks like
> my grandfather.
>
> I have his marriage certificate from where he married in 1902 in Prescot
> Lancashire England, His father is stated as JAMES HIGGINS (Farmer) but don't
> know if he was still in Ireland or not. Mary Ellen Comer (nee DONNELLY)'s
> father was stated as William Donnelly a Sailor.
>
> I also have my grandfather's Death Certificate which states he was 68 when
> he died but this does not tally up with his marriage certificate which says
> he was 24.
>
> It is definitely him on the 1901 Census and his Marriage and Death
> Certificates.
>
> I would like to find out if JAMES HIGGINS had any brothers and sisters
> besides the Ann who was living at Haslingden in 1891 (if she was his
> sister).
>
> Also I would like to know if my grandmother MARY ELLEN DONNELLY had any
> brothers and sisters besides the FANNY DONNELLY who was on the 1901 Census.
>
> Hoping someone can help.
>
> Thanks
>
> Pat Berry (nee Higgins) Australia

This thread: