IRL-LEITRIM-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-LEITRIM > 2007-11 > 1196122325

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [LEITRIM] Leitrim names
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:12:05 -0000

Author: irvinejim
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.ireland.let.general/8521.1.1.2/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

"Michael Higgins brother died at his home in Doumadurn(?) a few weeks ago - he did not survive his brother John."

Doumadurn could well be Drumadurin in Cloone parish. There was a Michael Higgins there married to a Mary Shanley. In the parish records they had a son Thomas there on 7th Dec 1844. There were several other Higgins men in the townland including a couple of Johns. Unfortunately the legibility of the entries for the Johns is not good so I am not sure of wive's names. Of all the Higgins families having children in the parish between 1820 and 1864 80% lived at Drumadurin.

If you can work out a rough date for Michael's death I can look for it in the parish records.

As for Providence, looking at the Ellis Island site, it looks like it was a favourite destination for Leitrim folk.

Important Note: