IRL-LEITRIM-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-LEITRIM > 2007-11 > 1195149801

Subject: Re: [LEITRIM] Molhil Parish - Latimer
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:03:21 +0000

Hi Joy,

Since your Latimers were Church Ireland, you should go at this in a slightly different way from that suited to the needs of someone researching a Catholic Irish family. The three most likely times/reasons for Protestants to have come to Fermanagh would have been the Cromwellian and Williamite settlements and the period around the end of the War of the Spanish Succession (1715), when mustered out soldiers were sometimes given land grants in lieu of back wages. Military records are therefore a good possibility.

Since Fermanagh was mainly agricultural in those days except for the tableware industry at Baleek, you might look for evidence of land ownership and/or leases. (PRONI and Northern Ireland archives might be able to help.) There are some census substitutes for Ireland that date from earlier than the beginning of the regular imperial censuses in the 19th century that enumerated landowners only, which your Mortons/Latimers well may have been. Look hard for Mortons as well as Latimers, since families did often intermarry with some frequency across generations; that might give you a separate channel to pursue. Incidentally, the Latimers may also have been in Fermanagh earlier and have gone south earlier to act as land agents, to take advantage of land that became available because of its confiscation from its original Catholic owners, or because they were in the military and stationed in Leitrim. (This would not have been a difficult journey: all they would have had to do was!
to go
on a barge down the Erne River system, and they would almost have been there.)

Another possible clue to pursue is to research locations in England from which colonists bound for Fermanagh were most likely to have come. The keeping of Church of England sacramental records became obligatory in 1538; after 1645, specific information was required to be included. (Surprisingly, many of these records have actually survived.) Civil registration in England and Wales also began much earlier than it did in Ireland (1653); a considerable body of these data have also survived. If you find any possibly applicable records, look for families that repeated the same baptismal names that appear in the Latimer family during the period for which you have found evidence.

Finally, I don't know whether ship lists are available in New Zealand, since I have not worked that area, but they can have usefulness beyond simply fixing dates and ports of arrival. Look at the other people on the same sailing. Any of these could be relatives, and you might be able to find something on them; that would give you additional names to work on.

Good luck.

Nancy

-------------- Original message from Joy Averis <>: --------------