IRL-LEITRIM-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-LEITRIM > 2007-11 > 1195088188

From: Joy Averis <>
Subject: Re: [LEITRIM] Molhil Parish - Latimer
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:56:28 +1200

Hi Nancy

Thank you for your email. Our Latimer's are Church of Ireland. My g-grandparents emigrated from Kinawley Parish, Co. Fermanagh in 1874.
We have traced our family back to Hugh Latimer married Jane Morton in 1761 in Kinawley Parish. Hugh was from Doonereagh Mohill Parish. We are trying to get beyond this point if we can. This is our brick wall. We are trying to find out when the first Latimer's went to Northern Ireland from England.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

Joy, Kerikeri, NZ> From: > To: > Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:26:04 +0000> Subject: Re: [LEITRIM] Molhil Parish - Latimer> > Are you interested in Catholic or Church of Ireland records? (Latimer sounds pretty English to me.) I did look into the availability of Catholic records for Mohill Parish several years ago, since I have numerous relatives with origins in that parish. I learned that Catholic records pretty much start after Catholic Emancipation (1829), although there may be death records somewhere for slightly earlier dates, since these are often the first to appear. > > If you need Church of Ireland records, these often do go back earlier. (So do Presbyterian records, but most of these were shipped to PRONI in Belfast when Ireland became independent, so you would need to contact that office if that would be applicable to your enquiry.) I have not had experience using Presbyterian records, since our family is solidly Catholic, but I understand that there is some sort of a repository for such records in Dublin; perhaps some of the listers who have researched Protestant records could tell you where it. > > However, there are several other things that you might also try. For example, the old cemetery (Catholic) in Mohill town is particularly well endowed with grave markers--at least a few of which go back as early as the 1790's, and grave-marker inscriptions have now been transcribed in many cases by public-works projects for the unemployed. The parish priest should have a copy, as should the National Library of Ireland. Also, some Mohill residents were buried at Farnaught Old Cemetery, which is in Gortletteragh Parish. Unfortunately there are relatively few pre-1800 burials with legible grave markers at Farnaught. In the north end of Mohill parish (Gorvagh, for example), it is possible that some of your Latimers could have been buried at Fenagh, although there are not very many pre-1800 burial markers that can be read there either. > > You are in luck in one way: Latimer is not a particularly common name in Catholic Ireland. Any you find are likely to be related to you somehow, if not very closely. I would do a telephone search of all of Southeast Leitrim--distances are not that great--to see whether there are any Latimers still living there who might know something of interest to your research. Also, consult any National School Centennial publications from anywhere in Mohill Parish that might be available to you. That would help you to find Latimers living there anytime in the twentieth century. Sometimes the text gives clues as to where they went if they emigrated. Also, look at early 20th century census records.> > Going back to the period closer to the time that you are interested in, if your Latimers were Protestant, look for records of the militias formed in 1795 as a result of the imposition of the Militia Act. Its also worthwhile to see if the database of British military records at Kew (online) has anything for you. For a slightly later period, consider records of enlistments and service in the Royal Irish Constabulary. There are numerous estate records from the Lough Rinn estate (Lord Leitrim--family name, Clements) that have survived and are in the Irish National Archives.> > How long have your Latimers been in New Zealand, if they were the ones who emigrated? Is there a possibility that they orginally went to another part of the British Empire and then went on to New Zealand later? (Canada is a likely suspect in this case.) There may be some records there that might help you.> > Good luck with your research.> > Nancy Gray> > > > -------------- Original message from Joy Averis <>: -------------- > > > > > > Hi Listers > > > > Can anyone help me? Have the parish registers for Mohil parish been > > transcribed? > > I am interested in the Latimer families prior to 1800. > > Any assistance would be most appreciated. > > > > Joy, Kerikeri, NZ > > _________________________________________________________________ > > Discover the new Windows Vista > > http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=windows+vista&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE > > ========IRL-LEITRIM Mailing List======== > > Some County Leitrim websites: > > http://www.connorsgenealogy.net/Leitrim/ > > http://www.rootsweb.com/~irllet/ > > ------------------------------- > > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to > > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes > > in the subject and the body of the message > ========IRL-LEITRIM Mailing List========> Some County Leitrim websites:> http://www.connorsgenealogy.net/Leitrim/>; http://www.rootsweb.com/~irllet/>; -------------------------------> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
Explore the seven wonders of the world