IRL-LEITRIM-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-LEITRIM > 2007-11 > 1195057884

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [LEITRIM] Leitrim names
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 16:31:24 -0000

Author: chrismurcia67
Surnames: Heslin, McManus, Kelly, McGonigle, Higgins
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.ireland.let.general/8521.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hello! I do remember talking to you. I found, just yesterday, those letters that were sent to "Cousin Mary" - one dated June 22, 1872 and ones in 1906 and 1911. Here are some key pieces to the letters for your benefit or the benifit of others:

They are written from Maguiresbridge in 1906 and 1911, and it looks like Ballygamesduff in 1872. They are signed "Your affectionate cousin, Peter Heslin."

There are references to Anna Bella Heslin who was elected to the post of night nurse in the Informary in Donegal - it says she has three aunts and an uncle who live in the vicinity and her granduncle Connor Kelly lives in Ballyshannon only elevan miles from her. Edward McManus who is married to a girl named Kiernan - it says she lived about two miles from Moyne and she has a brother who is a policeman in Maguiresbridge. Her current (as of 1911) address was in Cornakelly, Ballinamuck, Longford. A brother of Father McManus was appointed magistrate...Miss O'Connor, Minnie, Patrick and family, Anne and family, Father McGrave, Mary Bridget, John P. is working on the next exam and is nearly as tall as his father (1872), Anne has been in County Leitrim, (1906) heard from Edward that you (Mary) were in New York, (1906) you (Mary) have heard from Father Frank about the death of your uncle John McManus at the advanced age of 107. Michael Higgins brother died at his home in Doumadurn(!
?) a few weeks ago - he did not survive his brother John. Either Anna Bella or Connor Kelly's grand niece had an uncle Peter McGonigle.... the writer thought Mary was living with her Reverend brother... those are the key pieces of the letters. I do not remember where I got them - someone sent them to me. I believe it may have been a decendant of Patrick Heeney and Mary Glynn who lived in Davenport after coming from New York City around 1860. I believe Patrick was related to some of the other Heeneys in town and related names are McManus, Dolan, Kerrigan, O'Connor, Guickian, Foley, McPartland, Gillin, to name a few. All of these families were supposedly from County Leitrim (as far as I can see) and went to New York then on to Davenport, Scott County, Iowa. The McManus family stopped in Indiana for a couple years before moving to Davenport. My email address is . Email me with your address and I will send copies of these letters.

Chris in Iowa

Important Note: