IRL-LEITRIM-L Archives

Archiver > IRL-LEITRIM > 2007-11 > 1194922683

From: ,
Subject: [LEITRIM] Leitrim names
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 02:58:03 -0000

Author: chrismurcia67
Surnames: Heeney, Heaney, Gilheaney, Gilheeney, Heslin, Dolan, etc.
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.ireland.let.general/8521/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I have a ton of names that keep popping up in my research in Davenport, Scott County, Iowa, USA - some of them usual and some not so usual. I thought if I'd list them here, I may have better luck in tying some of them together.

These are from Oughteragh Parish:
Heeney, Gilheeney, Heaney, Gilheaney
Heslin

These are general Leitrim but all in Davenport, Iowa, but are all coming together either through marriage or just living next to one another:

Dolan
Guckion, Guckyon, Gookian, Guckin
McManus
McKiernan
Kerrigan
Leonard
McPartland, McPartlin
Foley
Cramer Kramer

I've also found some possiblity that there is a connection with Providence, Rhode Island. It also seems that most of these families came in through new York and lived in the city (some stayed) before coming to Iowa. If anyone thinks there could be a connection, please email me or reply to this post. Thanks

Important Note: