From: "Mary Lynn Fuller" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATES FOR ILLINOIS ADOPTEES
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 19:25:52 -0500

ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATES FOR ILLINOIS ADOPTEES

May 2010

ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATES FOR ILLINOIS ADOPTEES is a monthly eNewsletter bringing you all the news that's fit to print from the Land of Lincoln. We are a voice for the Illinois Open Organization, www.ILOpen.org

ILLINOIS OPEN MISSION STATEMENT

It is the civil and human right of ALL ADOPTED ADULTS to have access to their original birth records unconditionally and free from falsification.

Our goal is to challenge Illinois legislators to restore this civil and human right to all adopted men and women. We will not support legislation that places any restrictions on the rights of all adopted adults' access to their obc's.

It is not our primary goal to be a search organization.

We are independent of any other group.

HB 5428

HB 5428 could not be stopped in its tracks as we had hoped. But we must remember that it was fast-tracked and that the Democrats are currently in control of both houses. Rep. Sara Feigenholtz, the sponsor of the bill is a Democrat so it is not a big wonder that she was successful. Governor Pat Quinn, a Democrat is expected to sign the bill. It is quite unfortunate since the bill has many flaws in it and the biggest one being that it does not treat all adopted adults equally. What do we do now other than continue to hope that something will keep Gov. Quinn from signing the bill?

We have got to get back up, dust ourselves off and continue our fight for adoption reform. If for some reason this bill does not become law, chances are Rep. Feigenholtz will sponsor a bill very much like it next year. If Gov. Quinn does sign the bill, we will need a legislator to sponsor a good bill to clean up the mess. Just how long that will take we don't know but we need for everyone to get involved and do what you can to help.

MAKING A DIFFERENCE 101

This will be the first part of a series informing you as to how you can become involved or help others to join us.

Voters Registration and Voting

November 2, 2010 is the next election in Illinois. Registration is open year round except during the 27-day period just prior to the election & during the 2-day period after each election (1 day after in Chicago) Applications are available at some public & private facilities. Many if not all Bureau of Motor Vehicle offices have applications where you can complete one and have it submitted for you. At www.elections.il.gov you can download an application in PDF format. At this same Web site any questions regarding eligibility to vote should be answered. If you do not live in IL, perhaps you have family and friends here that you can encourage to register if they are not. Another way to encourage IL residents to vote is through Internet mailing lists, Facebook, Twitter and any where else you have become acquainted with others.

Once the "Certificate of Voter Registration" is in your hands, you will see where the precinct/polling place is stated on it. On my own card there is a link to the county clerk's Web site and chances are all counties provide a similar link. That is a good place to learn about upcoming elections, absentee voting and even serving as an Election Judge.

If you are questioning if you can make it to a voting poll during the designated hours, by all means absentee vote. Over the years I've heard many say that their vote will not make a difference but just think about what could happen if too many think that way and are for the same candidate as you.

UNGRATEFUL BASTARDS OF THE WORLD - UNITE!

It's been over a week since Representative Sara Feigenholtz (D-Chgo) penned that infamous note to Lori Jeske in which Sara (or someone on her staff) referred to us adoptees as "ungrateful bastards". (April 25,2010)

To refresh your memory, here's the post from Lori, sent to Representative Feigenholtz's public email address.

"From Lori to Representative Feigenholtz:

The bill and your efforts to pass this bill are inhuman. This bill will prove to a huge population of citizens that Democrats should no longer govern the State of Illinois. It is with deep regret, as a Democrat, to see this bill and your inability to stand up for ALL citizens in the State of Illinois.

Lori Jeske, Spokane, WA"

And here is the answer Lori received from that same email address. (emphasis is ours)