From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Hotel on Michigan Avenue in the 50s - TheStevens Hotel/Hilton
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:41:46 -0800 (PST)

Alice,
That's wonderful! I hope your dad keeps dancing for many years!
It was very likely at the Stevens Hotel then that saw Lawrence Welk. The big bands used to play in The Boulevard Room there. The hotel is still there and going strong, though it's now known as the Chicago Hilton and Towers. It had a massive makeover in the early 80s, I believe it was. We still go there for different functions and to Kitty O'Shea's, a really fun Irish pub. There is live Irish entertainment 5 or 6 nights a week and the majority of the staff are from Ireland.
My grandfather (from Co. Kerry) worked there as an elevator operator back in either the late 20s when it first opened or early 30s.
Just inside the main entrance to the right is a small conference room that is the hotel's unofficial museum. It is filled with pictures and relics from its history.
If you go to eBay, there are generally postcards being sold that will show you what it looked like back then. Keep visiting the site and you may find one with a picture of the Boulevard Room. I am always searching for pictures of places that have some meaning to my family history. Some I buy, but most I just save to my computer. Not the greatest quality, but it's something.

Beth