Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Hotel on Michigan Avenue in the 50s - TheStevens Hotel/Hilton
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 19:07:39 -0500

Hello!

My dad thinks it must have been the Stevens Hotel/Hilton. He said it was definitely on Michigan Ave. They only went twice. It was 1954, and he was a student at Purdue in Lafayette, IN. He especially liked Lawrence Welk and so drove up to Chicago to see him. He said they'd have dinner there, dance and enjoy the show, then stay the night at the hotel. He now visits my mom at the Assisted Living home everyday; they were watching the Lawrence Welk Show yesterday which is how the subject came up. As he put away his stool, he started dancing to the music - hadn't seen him dance in years! He still loves Lawrence Welk!!

I shared with him all the responses we got from this wonderful group. He was so pleased! Thank you all very much! (My dad's great grandfather, Alexander McClelland, was an Irish immigrant to Chicago in 1854. His grandfather, Robert Alexander McClelland, grew up there and moved to Yorkville, IL after attending Rush Medical School.)

Alice McClelland Roche
Albuquerque, NM

Sent: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 10:24 pm
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Hotel on Michigan Avenue in the 50s

Thank you Ruth, Maureen and Annette for your suggestions. I'll check with my
dad tomorrow to see if the names you've suggested ring a bell.

Alice