From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Hotel on Michigan Avenue in the 50s
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:40:14 -0800 (PST)

Alice,

There were so many different places that had dance bands back in the late 30s, 40s and early 50s. The Edgewater Beach was actually on Sheridan Rd. The bands would play in the Marine Dining Room and also on the Beach Walk at the Edgewater. Welk also spent the majority of his time in Chicago at the Trianon ballroom on the north side and then would switch to the Aragon ballroom on the southside.
I have just spent an hour or so looking at old news articles regarding the dance bands and the other entertainment during that time period. Now I want to go and pull out all our old records (yes, vinyl) of Lawrence Welk, Dick Jurgens, etc. That is something that I would have loved to have done, to get all dressed up and go out dancing in the ballrooms and dance clubs of the big band era. My aunt and uncle used to go to the Edgewater Beach Hotel frequently. They owned a beauty salon across the street and did the hair of some of the performers. One of my cousins (obviously much older than me!) was a professional dancer and appeared at many of these venues. To keep it in the theme of Irish in Chicago, my cousin's father's family was from Dublin! Her maiden name was Dunne, but she had a couple of different stage names.
So thank you Alice for setting me off on this interesting respite! Please let us know what your dad says and if he has any more to add. I for one would love to read about his memories of that time period.
Another list that you could try would be the Chicago Memories list.

Beth