From: Bonnie Brown <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] More Cook County Divorce Record Index Info
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:12:15 -0800 (PST)

To add to the info about Cook County Divorce records in the Circuit Court Archives (Dorothy Brown’s office).  There are indexes of records back to about 1871 (the fire).  As you might imagine, there weren't many divorces that were legally filed back then.

After 1900, there were 5 possible courts:  Circuit (the most cases), Superior, and three "satellite" courts: Chicago Heights, Blue Island and Calumet City.  Circuit and superior courts are each indexed, by year, and there are separate films by both plaintiff and defendant.  Some of the early years have multiple years on one microfilm, after 1950-ish it's pretty much one year, one court, one film. The suburban satellite courts are each on one microfilm, alphabetically.  The Archives records end in 1986.

So, as Karen says, there is no MASTER index…it’s important to narrow down the possible years for the divorce.

The rest of the process once you’ve found the divorce in the index is to order the files from off-site storage, which takes about a week, and go back to review the original case files.  Copies are $2 for the first copy, and $.50 for copies 2-19.  After 20 it drops to $.25 per copy, I believe.

I do divorce (and will/probate) lookups at the Court Archives---for a fee. I’m happy to discuss pricing with anyone, offline.  Thanks to our administrator for allowing me this advertisement.

Bonnie Brown

This thread: