Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Religious Orders in the Census
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 10:59:57 -0500

To: Chicago <>; Cook <>
Sent: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 4:13 pm

Listers,
Bill,
I was schooled by the Sinsinawa Dominicans in both grade and high schools. I know the religious orders keep records on
their community. I am sure they could help you with your Sisters, and then you can track them down through the individual
convents.
Here is there website: www.sinsinawa.org

Good luck.
Ellen

PS I have 2 great aunts who were Sisters of Loretto in Ontario in the 1800's. We have been able to receive information from
their historian about their assignments, etc.

I am curious to know if the religious orders were counted in the census. I am
aware that Catholic priests kept their full name, but nuns changed their names.
There would be many Sister Mary so and so's. I have a Sister Monica formerly
Bridget Therese McDermott. She was a Sinsinawa Dominican nun. Her assignments
were all over the place, but mainly in the Midwest. How would one locate a nun
in a census? Did they still keep their surname?

BIll