From: James ODonnell <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Religious Orders in the Census
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 10:12:44 -0500

In working with the 1900 Census from Cleveland, Ohio I found that at a
convent attached to a parish the nuns were listed, as for example,
Josephine, Sister, Head, occupation Teacher;
Angela, Sister, inmate, Teacher; Alma, Sister, inmate, Teacher, etc for
the other eight nuns. I think they were recorded the way the enumerated
decided and by whatever information concerning surnames, given names
Mother Superior wished to provide.